New Delhi, July 11 (ANI
): The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has lauded the security forces for gunning down Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani
, saying this is a big setback to the home grown militancy.
According to MHA sources, Wani's death is a great achievement in the sense that he was becoming an icon and would have attracted more youth towards militancy.
Terming the encounter as genuine, the source also said that it would have been extremely difficult to arrest him or get him alive. It was also informed that in comparison to last year, almost double terrorists have been killed this year.
In wake of the escalating protests post the Hizbul Mujahideen commander's killing, the MHA has also directed the security forces to exercise restraint and to use minimum force against the civilians.
has also raised concern over the growing number of protestors coming out in support of militants.
A political decision should be taken to reach out to youth and provide them employment, people need to be placated and their issues need to be addressed, the source added.
It was also informed that stone-pelters, who are teenagers (13-19), should be persuaded by their parents not to indulge in such activities.
Granting amnesty to first time stone-pelters is a step in right direction, the source said.
Meanwhile, the death toll in the protest over the killing of the 22-year-old poster boy rose to 23.
Curfew continued to be imposed in Srinagar following the protest.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had on Saturday chaired a high-level meeting to review the law and order situation in the state.
Rajnath had said the Centre is working with the state government to bring normalcy in the valley.
In a tweet, Singh appealed to the people to remain calm and maintain peace.
The Kashmir valley has been on a boil as widespread protests were carried out over Wani's killing with many separatists' calling for a shutdown. (ANI