Mon, Oct 24, 2016 | updated 05:20 AM IST

Congress slams police for trying to save Rohtak gang-rape accused

Updated: Jul 19, 2016 18:54 IST

New Delhi, July 19 (ANI): Taking potshots at the police for attempting to save the Rohtak gang-rape accused, the Congress Party on Tuesday said it is extremely unfortunate that no arrests have been made so far in this case.

Congress spokesperson Shobha Oza said the incident was really unfortunate and should be condemned.

"It has been five to six days that this Dalit girl has been raped for the second time by the same accused goons and the police is somewhere trying to save them," Oza told ANI.

"No protection has been given to the family despite the fact that these goons are trying to threaten the family and the girl to kill her," she added.

Oza further said that the accused committed the heinous crime after the victim refused to withdraw her complaint.

The Congress leader said that the accused even threatened the family members of the victim so that the complaint against them is withdrawn and they get a clean chit in the matter.

"When they failed to do so, they once again raped the girl on the 13th, and today is 19th, no arrest has taken place as yet," she added.

Continuing her tirade against the men in inform, Oza stated it seems the police is trying to save these goons as these are the people, who have muscle power and money-power.

"Yesterday, we visited the victim, the victim was not in the mental condition to speak and on behalf of the victim, the brother spoke to us, the doctors spoke to us, who said that the victim is so traumatized that she is not in a condition to speak," Oza said.

"Despite all these facts, the police have not given any protection to the family. The role of the police in this gruesome gang-rape is not clear, it seems the police is trying to save the goons involved in this crime," she added.

The Haryana Women Commission on Tuesday recorded the statement of Rohtak gang-rape victim and expressed hope that such a heinous crime never takes place again in the society.

Haryana Women Commission vice-chairman Suman Dahiya said the girl, who was now medically fit, has given her statement to them.

"As per the doctors, she is now medically fit to give the statement. It clearly appears from the girl's statement that whatever happened with her was absolutely wrong," Dahiya told ANI.

"We want that such cases never come up in the society again. The culprits need to be given severe punishment and arrested at the earliest," she added.

Dahiya further said that the girl's statement would now be recorded before the police and the Magistrate.

Meanwhile, Delhi Social Welfare Minister Sandip Kumar also met the victim's family.

The 21-year-old Dalit girl, who was gang-raped three years ago in Bhiwani by five men, had alleged that she was kidnapped and raped again by the same men in Rohtak on Wednesday last week when she was returning home from college.

Based on her complaint, the police registered an FIR against Amit, Jagmohan, Mausam, Sandeep and Akash.

While Amit and Jagmohan joined the investigation on Monday, the families of Mausam and Sandeep approached the police with the evidence.(ANI)