Mumbai, [India], Oct. 19 (ANI
): Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) workers gathered at Multiplex Metro Cinema here on Wednesday to protest against screening of Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' having Pakistani actor Fawad Khan as one of the casts.
The party workers assembled at multiplex, and raised slogans against Johar and demanded his film not to be released.
"The upcoming movie of Karan Johar
'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' casts Fawad Khan and we will not let this film be released here. Right now, we are asking all the multiplex owners politely to not to showcase this film here and after that also, if they showcase the film, then we will break the glasses of those theatres," said MNS leader Arvind Gavade.
Earlier on Tuesday, Johar broke his silence on the row over his upcoming film 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil', in an emotional video statement expressing a "deep sense of hurt and pain" by the charge of being anti-national.
"I condemn terror in the strongest terms; I respect our army, for me, the country comes first," the 44-year-old said.
Johar, who made his directorial debut with the blockbuster romance Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, further said: "The best way to express your patriotism is to spread love and thats all I have ever tried to do through my work and cinema."
Yesterday, prominent industry veterans including filmmaker Mukesh Bhatt met Mumbai Police Commissioner Dattatray Padsalgikar and Joint Police Commissioner (Law and Order) Deven Bharti, who assured them that they would provide protection to theatres screening Dharma Productions next release 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil'.
The meeting took place in the wake of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena
(MNS) veiled threat of vandalizing multiplexes if they screen 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil'.
CEO of Fox Star Studios Vijay Singh, CEO of Dharma Productions Apoorva Mehta and Siddharth Roy Kapur, the CEO of Disney India and the UTV Motion Pictures were among those present in the meeting.
Shunning long-time speculations about whether the movie will release on its defined date or not, Bhatt confirmed that they would stick to the initial date of release, adding the movie will hit cinemas worldwide on October 28.
Reaching out to the MNS workers, Bhatt urged them to show sensitivity about the fact that the movie has already been made and allow Diwali to be a festive affair for everyone.
"I have a request as a fellow Indian to my brothers in the MNS, I am humbly requesting you to let us entertain people on the occasion of Diwali," he said.
Meanwhile, Mumbai Police spokesperson Ashok Dudhe said that all multiplexes and single screen theatres would get protection to release the movie so that no disruption is caused in middle of the shows or in the city as a whole.
The movie starring Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has been under fire because it also features Pakistani actor Fawad Khan in a cameo.
after imposing the ban on artistes from the neighbouring country, in response to the terror attack in Uri led by Pakistan, had on Monday openly threatened the theatre owners if they screen the movie. (ANI