New Delhi [India], Nov. 20 (ANI
): Over 40 people have been killed so far as at least 14 coaches of the Patna-Indore Express derailed near Pukhrayan area in Kanpur early on Sunday morning.
Uttar Pradesh Additional Director General (law and order) Daljeet Singh Choudhary confirmed to ANI
that the death toll has risen to 45.
Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu tweeted that an enquiry has been ordered into the accident and that strict action will be taken against all those responsible.
"Sr officers ordered to go to spot immediately, they are on way to accident site.local MP, MLAs other functionaries rushed. MOS going. Rail,Dist,state, NDRF teams are geared up to deal with the accident & offer all kind of help.We r doing our best, to deal with sad accident," he said.
The Union Minister further said that ex-gratia will be announced for the unfortunate passengers who lost their lives and also to those who were injured.
Meanwhile, Home Minister Rajnath Singh offered his condolences saying he was deeply pained by the loss of lives and that his thoughts are with the bereaved families.
"I have spoken to DG NDRF and instructed him to rush NDRF teams to Pukhrayan. He is also leaving for Pukhrayan to oversee the rescue ops," Rajnath tweeted.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has directed the Director General of Police (DGP) to personally monitor the relief operations.
Meanwhile, Railways Ministry spokesperson Anil Saxena told ANI
that several people have been rushed to nearby hospitals with injuries, and the casualties may go up. (ANI