Thu, Oct 27, 2016 | updated 08:29 AM IST

Uri attack: Time has come to take action against Pakistan, says NCP

Updated: Sep 19, 2016 08:22 IST

Mumbai [India], Sept. 19 (ANI): Maintaining that every drop of blood of the 17 soldiers killed in the terror attack at an army administrative base in Uri is creating an urge to get up and do something, Nationalist Congress Party ( NCP) leader Majeed Memon on Monday said that India has shown enormous patience with Pakistan and that the time has come to act.

Memon told ANI, "I think that every drop of blood of the 17 martyred jawans is urging us, demanding from us and calling us to get up and do something now, because enough is enough. We have displayed too much of patience, we have tolerated all their intrusions and cease fire violations etc too far. I think the time has come when action is needed."

At least 17 soldiers lost their lives and 19 others were injured during the terror strike on an army camp close to the headquarters of the 12th Brigade at Uri in Baramulla district yesterday.

Memon maintained that it seemed as if there has been some intelligence failure.

"Well the death of 17 soldiers, who were martyred in this operation, it seems there is some intelligence failure or something amiss somewhere, and Pakistan has been given too much of latitude," he added.

Welcoming the United States' condemnation of the attack, he, however, said words will not suffice for both New Delhi and Washington.

"I think we need to take some concrete positive steps not only to prevent this, but to end this chapter of terror by Pakistan," he added.

Branding Pakistan a 'terrorist state' and stating that it should be identified and isolated as such, Home Minister Rajnath Singh yesterday said there are definite and conclusive indications that the perpetrators of Uri attack were highly trained, heavily armed and specially equipped.

"I am deeply disappointed with Pakistan's continued and direct support to terrorism and terrorist groups," he said in a series of tweets.

Meanwhile, condemning the terror attack as well, Prime Minister Narendra Modi assured the nation that those behind the 'despicable' attack will not go unpunished.

"We salute all those martyred in Uri. Their service to the nation will always be remembered. My thoughts are with the bereaved families," the Prime Minister said in a series of tweets.

Hinting at the Jaish-e-Mohammad's role behind the Uri attack, India's Director General Military Operations (DGMO) Lt. Gen. Ranbir Singh also asserted that the evil designs would get a befitting reply.

"The killed terrorists were all foreign terrorists and as per initial reports, they belong to the Jaish-e-Mohammad. Along with the terrorists, we recovered four AK-47 rifles, four under barrel grenade launchers, a large number of grenades and other war-like stores," Lt. Gen. Singh said.

Lt. Gen. Singh said the items recovered from the slain terrorists had Pakistani markings, adding he has conveyed India's serious concerns about the same with Pakistan's Director General of Military Operations.

"I would also like to mention that the intelligence agencies and security forces are working in close synergy with each other and regular intelligent inputs are received from intelligence organisations and agencies and necessary action is being taken accordingly," he added.

At least 17 soldiers lost their lives and 19 others were injured during the terror strike on an army camp close to the headquarters of the 12th Brigade at Uri in Baramulla district.

All four terrorists have been killed in what has emerged as worse than the attack on the Pathankot air base earlier in January this year, in which seven army men were killed. (ANI)