Tue, Oct 25, 2016 | updated 09:12 PM IST

First step by Modi worthy of a Prime Minister: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes

Updated: Sep 30, 2016 13:07 IST

Bulandshahr [India], Sept. 30 (ANI): Expressing his support towards the Centre's move of carrying out a surgical strike across the LoC on terror launch pads, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Friday asserted that this was the first step by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in years worthy of his stature.

"I want to thank Modi ji. This is the first step he has taken in two and a half years, worthy of a Prime Minister. My party and I stand with him, as what he has done is right," Rahul said during a rally here.

Later in a series of tweets, he asserted that he fully supported this move by the Prime Minister, adding that he would always support him when he made decisions worthy of his stature.

"The Congress party and the entire India stands with this decision of the Prime Minister," Rahul tweeted.

Rahul had earlier lauded the Indian Army for carrying out the operation in which sever terror launch pads were busted in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK).

"All of us stand firmly united against terrorism & those who support & sponsor it. The Congress Party and I salute the Indian Army and our jawans for acting valiantly to defend our country & our people. Jai Hind," he said.

Earlier, addressing a press conference, Director General of Military Operations Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh said "significant casualty was caused to terrorists during the operation".

Lt. Gen. Singh said, "Based on very credible and specific information which we received yesterday that some terrorist teams had positioned themselves at launch pads along the Line of Control with an aim to carry out infiltration and terrorist strikes in Jammu and Kashmir and in various other metros in our country, the Indian army conducted surgical strikes last night at these launch pads."

"The operations were basically focused to ensure that these terrorists do not succeed in their design of infiltration and carrying out destruction and endangering the lives of citizens of our country. During these counter terrorist operations, significant casualties have been caused to the terrorists and those who are trying to support them. The operations aimed at neutralizing the terrorists have since ceased. We do not have any plans for continuation of further operations. However the Indian armed forces are fully prepared for any contingency that may arise," he added.

"I have just spoken to the Pakistani Director General of Military Operations and explained our concerns and also shared with him the operations we had conducted last night. It is India's intention to maintain peace and tranquillity in the region, but we can certainly not allow the terrorists to operate across the Line of Control with impunity and attack the citizens of our country," he said.

The DGMO said, "It has been a matter of serious concern that there has been continuing and increasing infiltration by terrorists across the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir. This is reflected in the terrorist attacks at Poonch and Uri on September 11-18, respectively. Almost 20 infiltration attempts have been foiled by the Indian Army successfully during this year. During these terrorist attacks and infiltration attempts we have recovered items including Global Positioning Systems and stores which have had Pakistani markings." (ANI)

However, Pakistan has rejected India's claim it had conducted surgical strikes on alleged terrorist launch pads along LoC, saying that New Delhi is doing it only to please the media and public.

In a statement, Pakistan Defence Minister Khawaja Asif on Thursday said, "The Pakistani Army gave befitting response to the Indian army. Indian Army opened up small arm fire last night on five sectors across LoC. India is doing this under a well-planned objective. If India tries to do this again, we will respond forcefully. India is doing this only to please their media and public." (ANI)