New Delhi [India], Oct. 6 (ANI
): With China extending its veto on India's move in the United Nations to blacklist Pakistan-based terrorist outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar, the Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday said they convey to the United Nations that it is expected to proscribe JeM chief under the 1267 sanctions regime of the council.
MEA spokesperson Vikar Swarup said, "Such a designation will send a strong message to all the terror groups across the world that international community is no longer going to tolerate selective approaches to terrorism."
"Distinction between good terrorists and bad terrorists is fallacious and counterproductive. Concomitantly, it will also be sending a dangerous message, if it fails to act upon India's submission. I understand that this issue is also being taken up with the Chinese government," Swarup said.
"You will recall the principle argument that we made in the 1267 committee march this year, was that the committee has proscribed the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad, but has ignored the need to take action against this organisation's main leader, financer and motivator, who continues his terrorist activities unhindered," Swarup said.
"The committee has already pondered over our submission for the last six months. It will get a further three months to ponder, but that will in no way change the extreme situation. We have the committee designating terrorist organisation, but failing to or ignoring the need to designate the organisations' most active and dangerous terrorist," he added.
China on Saturday extended its veto on India's move in the United Nations to blacklist Pakistan-based terrorist outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar.
Earlier, China for the second time has prevented India's effort after on March 31 this year, it put on hold the ban sought by India and blocked New Delhi's move to put a ban on the JeM leader and the Pathankot attack mastermind under the sanctions committee of the council.
The Chinese technical hold was set to lapse earlier on October 1, and had China not raised further objection, the resolution designating Azhar as a terrorist could stand passed automatically. The hold has been extended for another six months.
Beijing had three options, which included extending the technical hold, converting the hold to a block and allow the designation to go through.
It decided to pursue the first option which is procedural in nature and delays substantive decision by a few more months.
After its March 31 decision, China's Permanent Representative Liu Jieyi had said that Azhar does not qualify as a terrorist who would have to face UN sanctions.
China was the only member in the 15-nation UN organ to put a hold on India's application with all other 14 members of the Council supporting New Delhi's bid to place Azhar on the 1267 sanctions list that would subject him to an assets freeze and travel ban. (ANI