Fri, Oct 28, 2016 | updated 11:53 AM IST

Turkey continues crackdown, shuts dozens of media outlets

Updated: Jul 28, 2016 09:54 IST

New York, July 28 (ANI) : Continuing its action against military and media institutions after the failed coup attempt, the Turkish government has shut down 45 newspapers, 16 television stations and three news agencies amid the state of emergency.

Nearly 1,700 soldiers, including 87 generals, have also been discharged from their duties, reports CNN.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had earlier said that actions were being taken to remove the "threat" raised during the attempt.

Since then officials have fired or suspended tens of thousands.

Turkey's top broadcasting authority last week revoked the licenses for two dozen radio and television companies that it said are linked to Fethullah Gulen, whom Turkish leaders blame for masterminding the coup.

In total, Turkey has closed about 130 media and publishing outlets. (ANI)