Washington [USA], Oct. 22 (ANI
): United States Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has said that Washington would give an "overwhelming" military response should the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) successfully launch a nuclear weapon.
The Pentagon chief made the remarks while condemning recent the missile test by the DPRK while noting the attempt, "even in failing, violated several UN Security Council resolutions," reports Xinhua.
"Make no mistake: any attack on America or our allies will not only be defeated, but any use of nuclear weapons will be met with an overwhelming and effective response." he warned at a joint press conference with his South Korean counterpart Han Min-Koo at the Pentagon.
The South Korean Defense Minister said that Seoul and Washington will consider "permanently deploying US strategic assets on a rotational basis" in a bid to back up US commitment to defend South Korea from DPRK's nuclear and missile threats.
"The United States and South Korea will enhance cooperation on both the maritime and cyber security", Carter added.
Earlier, a spokesman for the DPRK National Aerospace Development said in a statement that the DPRK will continue to send more satellites into space under its national blueprint for space development, refuting claims by South Korea that the true intention behind it is not for peaceful purposes.
The statement came amid South Korea's strong denunciation of the DPRK over its test-launch of an intermediate-range ballistic missile on Wednesday night, which Seoul's military presumed to have failed. It was the second failed launch in less than a week and the latest in a series of provocations by the DPRK
following its fifth nuclear test last month.
Secretary of State John Kerry, despite high concern and strong opposition by China and Russia, said at the talks that the United States would deploy the highly controversial Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system to South Korea "as soon as possible." (ANI