Rome [Italy], Oct.27 (ANI
): Two powerful earthquakes hit the central Italy
on Wednesday, about 50 miles north of the site where a deadly quake had in August killed nearly 300 people, the US Geological Survey said.
According to USGS, the second quake with a magnitude of 6.1 was 3.2 kilometers north of Visso and 58 km from Perugia
, reports the CNN.
Earthquake measuring 5.5 magnitudes had struck the same region just a few hours earlier.
The epicentre was about 9 kilometers away, south-southwest of Visso.
No injury has been reported so far while there was damage in Visso and another town. Visso
is about 110 miles northeast of Rome
The mayor of the small town of Castelsantangelo sul Nera, Mauro Falcucci said, "We don't have any reported victims, but we're in the dark and under a downpour. We're waiting for the Civil Protection Department to bring us lighting towers."
Spokesman for the Italian branch of the Red Cross, Tommaso Della Longa said that after the first shock, many people had left their homes and were outside when the second earthquake hit about two hours later.
He said that buildings which had fallen in the area have been unoccupied since the August quake.
Civil protection spokesman Antonio Flippini said that previously damaged buildings had suffered new collapses and over concerns of structural damage a part of the Salaria highway in the Marche region near Amatrice has been closed.
Those living in tent camps have been offered by the police an opportunity to stay farther away tonight as the rain falls. (ANI