Sat, Dec 3, 2016 | updated 07:15 PM IST

New York bomber Ahmad Rahami's Pakistani links revealed

Updated: Sep 20, 2016 10:58 IST

New York [USA], Sept. 20 (ANI): Investigations have revealed that Ahmad Khan Rahami (28), the suspect in Saturday's bombings in New York and New Jersey had earlier travelled to Pakistan and Afghanistan for long periods and was married to a Pakistani woman as well in 2011.

Rahami first came to the United States in 1995 as a child, after his father arrived seeking asylum, and became a naturalized US citizen in 2011.

Rahami traveled to Pakistan in April 2013 and returned in March of the following year, according to a federal official.

During his 2013 trip, he stayed in Quetta with family members who were refugees, the official said.

Rahami also travelled to Pakistan for three months in 2011, the official said, and again for several months in 2005 before returning in January 2006.

He has been charged with five counts of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer after a shootout on Monday with police in Linden, New Jersey, reports the CNN.

Union County Prosecutor Grace H. Park said, he is also charged with second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon and second-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose.

Authorities said Rahami is "directly linked" to the bombings on Saturday in New York City and Seaside Park, New Jersey, and is believed to be connected to pipe bombs found Sunday night in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

"We have every reason to believe this was an act of terror," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday.

Investigation is underway to determine if Rahami had help to carry out the explosions.

Though FBI Assistant Director William F. Sweeney Jr., said there is "no indication" of an active operating cell in the New York area, evidence suggests Rahami was not acting alone.

Mayor Chris Bollwage said his family, who runs First American Fried Chicken in Elizabeth, has a history of clashes with the community over the restaurant, which used to be open 24 hours a day.

In 2011, the family sued the city of Elizabeth, and its police department, alleging discrimination and harassment against Muslims stemming from disputes over the restaurant's hours. (ANI)