Fri, Dec 9, 2016 | updated 07:23 AM IST

Syrian refugee with suspected ISIS links held in Germany

Updated: Oct 10, 2016 20:40 IST

New York [USA], Oct. 10 (ANI): A Syrian refugee suspected of planning a bomb attack was detained by the German Police after a massive manhunt that lasted almost two days.

The Saxony crime office said Monday that 22-year-old Jaber al-bakr behaved in a way that suggests links to the ISIS militant group, reports the CNN.

The police also discovered 1.5 kg of extremely dangerous explosives in a flat in Chemnitz in Leipzig in what appears to be al-bakr's apartment.

The German general prosecutor said that al-bakr had been planning an "attack with Islamist motives" but that a specific target was as yet unknown.

"His approach and behavior suggest an IS context. He had taken concrete steps earlier this month to plan the attack," said Joerg Michaelis, the president of the Saxony crime office adding that al-bakr was possibly planning to use an explosive vest.

The material found likely TATP -- acetone peroxide -- which was also used in the Brussels and Paris attacks, said Michaelis.

Saxony State Interior Minister Markus Ulbig said that al-bakr had come to Germany as an asylum-seeker in February 2015. A year later, he formally asked for asylum, which was granted in June this year. (ANI)