Ankara [Turkey], Jan 1 (ANI
): An armed attack has killed at least 35 people and injured 40 others at an Istanbul nightclub early Sunday.
Governor Vasip Sahin described the attack in Ortakoy, Besiktas, as "cruel" and an "act of terror", reports Turkish state-run news agency Anadolu.
"At 1.15 a.m., a terrorist carrying a long-barreled weapon martyred the police officer waiting outside, and then martyred another citizen to enter the club. He then carried out this violent and cruel act by spraying bullets on innocent people who were celebrating the New Year," Sahin said.
The investigation is underway and the governor's office would provide further updates, he added.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan expressed deep sadness over the attack, according to government sources, and received updates from Prime Minister Binali Yildirim and Governor Sahin on the casualties as well as the details of the terrorist act.
The attack comes three weeks after twin bombings in Istanbul
killed at least 45 people, mostly police officers.
According to a report by the Guardian, as many as 600 people were thought to have been in the club when the attack happened. Some people jumped into the waters of the Bosphorus to escape and were being rescued by police.
Government officials have said there was one attacker and that he has been killed.
No group has claimed responsibility of the attack so far. (ANI