Mon, Oct 24, 2016 | updated 09:24 PM IST

After NADA's clearance, Narsingh fully prepared to compete at Rio, says WFI chief

Updated: Aug 02, 2016 08:17 IST

New Delhi, Aug 2 (ANI): After National Anti-doping Agency (NADA) exonerated Narsingh Yadav from the doping charges, Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh has said the wrestler is absolutely prepared to compete in upcoming Rio Olympics.

Ending weeks of suspense over Narsingh's Rio Olympics participation, the NADA had earlier cleared the wrestler from the charges of violating anti-doping rules while pointing that he was a victim of sabotage perpetrated by a competitor.

Expressing his pleasure over the verdict, Brij Bhushan said he felt really glad to see truth has prevailed and that Narsingh was proved innocent.

"We are really happy. I think entire country is happy for him. A player against whom conspiracy was being hatched has been declared innocent. I had asked Narsingh before the judgement that are you prepared to compete in Rio if you get the opportunity. He said that he is absolutely prepared. I am sure he will head Rio. The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) has already done all the required arrangements for the same," the WFI chief told exclusively to ANI.

Meanwhile, Narsingh thanked the WFI chief for supporting him in his dreadful period and said that it was because of his backing that he continued his practice till now.

The order will now be sent to the United World Wrestling (UWW) so as to get approval about Narsingh's participation in the Summer Games.

The 26-year-old grappler, who bagged the quota with a bronze medal finish in last year's World Championships, tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid on both his 'A' and 'B' samples. He was placed under provisionally suspension since then.

However, the NADA cleared the way for Narsingh to participate in the forthcoming Rio Olympics saying that the one-time ingestion by the wrestler 'was not within his knowledge'.

"The panel is treating this as a single violation because the report of the sample taken on 25th June was not notified to him till the sample taken on July 5," the NADA said. "The panel concludes that the athlete deserves the benefit of Article 10.4 of the anti-doping rules of the NADA 2015 as there is no fault or negligence on his part and he is a victim of sabotage done by a competitor," the NADA panel had said.

Before the hearing, Narsingh had cried foul play, claiming that his food had been spiked and had filed an FIR at the Sonepat Police Station against two fellow wrestlers.

Brij Bhushan had also backed Narsingh's claims of a conspiracy, after his sparring partner and roommate Sandeep Tulsi also tested positive for drugs.

Following the positive tests, Parveen Rana was named as Narsingh's replacement in order to save the quota place of the country. The move has also been approved by the UWW.

Narsingh was selected for the Rio Olympics in controversial circumstances as two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar had demanded for trials to determine who should go to the games. However, Narsingh was favoured for the same after fighting a lengthy legal battle with Sushil.(ANI)