Thu, Oct 27, 2016 | updated 12:40 PM IST

After NADA clearance, Sports Minister assures full support to Narsingh

Updated: Aug 02, 2016 19:45 IST

New Delhi, Aug.2 (ANI): A day after Narsingh Yadav was cleared by National Anti-doping Agency (NADA) from the doping charges, Union Sports Minister Vijay Goel on Tuesday said that he will extend his best support in getting the wrestler's name clear for his participation in the Rio Olympics, which starts from Friday.

Goel said although the 26-year-old grappler has been declared innocent, there is a proper process which needs to be followed to ensure his participation in the Summer Games.

"Narsingh Yadav has been given clean chit by National Anti-doping Agency. It means he has been declared innocent and wasn't given any punishment. But, there is a process which he has to follow to participate in Rio Olympics. It involves writing to Wrestling Federation India and International Wrestling Federation, getting clearance from International Olympic Committee and in the process; we need to see that the WADA doesn't create any obstruction. We will try to extend our best support to him," Goel told reporters here.

A relieved Narsingh had earlier said he knew that justice would prevail and that he would get a clean chit from the NADA to compete in the Summer Games.

"It was indeed a very difficult period for me as conspiracy had been hatched against me and even my Rio chances looked bleak at one stage, but the NADA panel showed faith in me and exonerated me from doping charges," he said after the NADA's clearance.

The NADA pointed out that Narsingh was a victim of sabotage perpetrated by a fellow competitor.

The wrestler now needs to clear a dope test and then wait for approvals from the United World Wrestling (UWW), World Anti-Doping Agency and IOC to represent his nation in Rio.

The 26-year-old grappler, who bagged the quota with a bronze medal finish in last year's World Championships, tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid on both his 'A' and 'B' samples. He was placed under provisionally suspension since then.

However, the NADA cleared the way for Narsingh to participate in the forthcoming Rio Olympics saying that the one-time ingestion by the wrestler 'was not within his knowledge'.

"The panel is treating this as a single violation because the report of the sample taken on 25th June was not notified to him till the sample taken on July 5.The panel concludes that the athlete deserves the benefit of Article 10.4 of the anti-doping rules of the NADA 2015 as there is no fault or negligence on his part and he is a victim of sabotage done by a competitor," NADA director general Navin Agarwal said while delivering its disciplinary panel's verdict.

Before the hearing, Narsingh had cried foul play, claiming that his food had been spiked and had filed an FIR at the Sonepat Police Station against two fellow wrestlers.

Wrestling Federation of Indian (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh had also backed Narsingh's claims of a conspiracy, after his sparring partner and roommate Sandeep Tulsi also tested positive for drugs.

Following the positive tests, Parveen Rana was named as Narsingh's replacement in order to save the quota place of the country. The move was also approved by the UWW.

Narsingh was selected for the Rio Olympics in controversial circumstances as two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar had demanded for trials to determine who should go to the games. However, Narsingh was favoured for the same after fighting a lengthy legal battle with Sushil. (ANI)