Fri, Oct 28, 2016 | updated 12:11 AM IST

Dejected Narsingh reiterates demand for CBI probe into doping row

Updated: Aug 23, 2016 19:02 IST

New Delhi, Aug 23 (ANI): Dope-tainted Narsingh Yadav, who has been handed a four-year ban by the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS), on Tuesday reiterated his demand for a CBI investigation into his doping case.

"I have been framed, I want a CBI inquiry into the incident, and culprits must be punished. I would have definitely won a medal for the country had I been allowed to play," Narsingh told ANI.

The Indian contingent dealt a severe blow to their Rio Olympics campaign when Narsingh was slapped with the ban after the CAS overturned the clean chit given to the grappler by the National Anti-Doping Agency earlier this month. As a result of Narsingh's suspension, India went unrepresented in the 74kg category.

Earlier this month, the NADA had paved the way for Narsingh to compete in the prestigious quadrennial event after its disciplinary panel ruled that he was a victim of sabotage (food/drink tampering) perpetrated by another competitor.

While handing out a four-year suspension, the CAS ad-hoc division, however, stated that it "did not accept the argument of the athlete that he was the victim of sabotage and noted that there was no evidence that he bore no fault nor that the anti-doping rule violation was not intentional."

Explaining the rationale behind its decision, the CAS in a detailed report later stated that Narsingh had failed to produce any "real evidence" regarding the "sabotage theory" he had advanced and the balance of probabilities was that he took the "banned substance intentionally in tablet form".

"This is not only a betrayal against me but against the whole country. I will fight the case till the end. We will definitely appeal against the suspension," added the 27-year-old grappler while pleading innocence.

Commenting on Narsingh's ban, Wrestling Federation of India president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh also reiterated his demand for a CBI inquiry into the contentious matter and insisted that the 27-year-old grappler would have brought laurel for the country had he been not suspended on the eve of his scheduled bout.

"A CBI inquiry into the matter is very essential. We will meet PM as well as Home Minister with regard to this issue," said Brij Bhushan. "Lower level NADA officials are also involved in the case and that is why I reiterate the demand for a CBI inquiry. This is a conspiracy." (ANI)