Tue, Oct 25, 2016 | updated 07:17 PM IST

Kyrgios allays injury concerns, says `ready` for Davis Cup tie

Updated: Sep 13, 2016 22:38 IST

Johannesburg [South Africa], Sept.13 (ANI): Controversial Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has played down the seriousness of a hip injury he sustained during the recently-concluded US Open, saying he feels ready to play this week's Davis Cup World Group play-off.

The 21-year-old was reduced to tears after the niggling injury forced him to retire from the third round of the final major of the season, Sport24 reported.

Insisting that he had been playing probably the best tennis of his career at the moment, Kyrgios said he was confident to put up a great performance in the upcoming tournament.

Kyrgios, who made his Davis Cup debut in the men's doubles event in 2013, has played only four ties so far, with a 3-4 win-loss record.

Kyrgios, alongside Bernard Tomic and doubles specialists John Peers and Sam Groth, will complete the Australian team to face Slovakia from September 16 to 18, when the two sides will aim to secure a place in next year's World Group. (ANI)