Sydney [Australia], Sept.15 (ANI
): Australian pace spearhead Mitchell Starc
on Thursday underwent surgery and received approximately 30 stitches after suffering a deep laceration to his left shin during a training session.
Confirming the news, Cricket Australia's chief medical officer, Dr. John Orchard revealed that the 26-year-old collided with some training equipment during team's practice session at the Hurstville Oval in Sydney and was immediately taken by ambulance to the St. George Hospital.
"Fortunately there were no bone fractures or tendon damage to his leg and he underwent surgery this afternoon to clean the wound and received approximately 30 stitches," he was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo.
Orchard further said that Starc would hopefully continue to remain on track to play Australia's first Test of summer, subjected to any complication.
"He will remain in hospital for the next few days to minimize movement to his leg and will use an extension brace for the next two to three weeks until his stitches are removed. At this stage, barring any complications, we are hopeful he is on track to play at the start of the Australian summer," Orchard said.
However, the Australian selectors had already announced earlier that Starc would be rested for the five-match ODI series against South Africa
later this month, in order to keep him fresh for the home Tests against the AB de Villiers-led side, starting from November 3 at the WACA. (ANI