Wed, Dec 7, 2016 | updated 11:43 PM IST

Hafeez's return to national fold unlikely if he fails bowling test: PCB

Updated: Nov 07, 2016 14:43 IST

Karachi [Pakistan], Nov.7 (ANI): Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez's return to the national side will be extremely difficult if he fails to get his bowling action cleared, said Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Shaharyar Khan.

Shaharyar further said that the 36-year-old's illegal bowling action led him to be stripped off the status of an all-rounder and, therefore, he would most probably play as a batsman if he ever got a chance to play for the national side.

"Hafeez has requested to be tested in Loughborough, Cardiff and we obliged because he is a senior player of the team. However, if he fails to clear his test once again, it will be extremely difficult for the selection committee to include him in the national side," Shaharyar was quoted as saying by the Express Tribune.

Earlier, Hafeez had told the PCB that he was ready to take the ICC's bowling assessment test to confirm whether his bowling action could be cleared for international cricket.

Hafeez, who appeared in 50 Tests, 177 ODIs and 77 T20s for Pakistan, has been facing problems with his bowling action since 2014.

He was handed a ban by the ICC twice for an illegal bowling action , firstly in December 2014 which later got cleared in April 2015 and second in July last year for 12 months. (ANI)