Johannesburg [South Africa], Nov. 9 (ANI
): Uncapped fast bowler Joe Mennie
is all set to make his Test debut when Australia would take on South Africa in the second game of the three-match series in Hobart starting from November 12.
Mennie is likely to replace injured Peter Siddle. Siddle sustained lower back soreness at the conclusion of the first Test match in Perth, where he made his international return following an eight-month lay-off due to a stress fracture of the back.
The 27-year-old was named as the 12th man for the first Test which the hosts lost by 177 runs.
Mennie made a disappointing start to his international career last month against the Proteas, having conceded 82 runs in 10 overs on ODI debut---the worst-ever figures by an Australian cricketer.
Mennie, however, was the leading wicket-taker in domestic Sheffield Shield bowling list last season with 51 wickets.
"I'm feeling as good as I can be," Mennie was quoted as saying by Sport24.
The medium-pacer, who bowls in the mid-130 km/h range, also said that he has spent some time chatting to Siddle.
"He's been really good and a great stalwart for Australia over the years. He was really good last week and a great guy to have talking to me. We've just been talking about general bowling stuff," he said.
Following Siddle's omission, Australia
have called in Jackson Bird as cover for the bowling unit.
However, Bird is not officially part of the squad, which means Mennie is set to join the pace attack along with Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc. (ANI