London [UK], Nov. 20 (ANI
): Manchester United skipper Wayne Rooney
has expressed his disappointment over the publication of photographs that showed him out late when on England duty, saying the treatment he received after the incident was "disgraceful".
Various pictures appeared on a national daily after Rooney joined a wedding party following England's World Cup qualifying victory against Scotland.
The England captain has been drawing flak and has been receiving flurry of criticism and negative comments after it was reported that he was out socialising until the early hours of last Sunday morning and the fallout rumbled along all last week.
Rooney had, however, issued an apology over "inappropriate" pictures of him.
"What's been going on is disgraceful," Rooney was quoted as saying by the Guardian in immediate aftermath of United's 1-1 draw against Arsenal.
"I'm proud to play for my country and I'm proud of my achievements. It's not finished yet. I think what's been going on is disgraceful. It shows a lack of respect and I think enough is enough. That's all I want to say," he added.
The 31-year-old midfielder added that he felt as if the media were trying to write his obituary.
"Enough is enough. It feels as if the media are trying to write my obituary and I won't let that happen. I love playing for my country and I am proud of my achievements to date - but I have not finished yet," he said.
United manager Jose Mourinho had also came to Rooney's defence and blamed Gareth Southgate, the interim England manager, for not protecting him.
"The only thing I say is the player goes to the national team, he belongs to the national team. I learned since I was a kid, if someone lends me something I have to take care of it even better than if it was mine," he said. (ANI