Aussies guzzle 600 swimming pools of beer in 1 yearMay 3, 5:28 pm
Melbourne, May 3 (ANI): Australians may have cut back on booze, but they still drink enough to fill 600 Olympic size swimming pools a year.The Australian Bureau of Statistics reported the first decrease in alcohol consumption since 2002, and comes despite a shift from beer to spirits.There was 182 million litres of pure alcohol available for consumption in 2010-2011, compared with 184 million the previous year, New.com.au reported.Beer made up 42 per cent of all alcohol sold - down 3.4 per cent, and wine made up 37 per cent - down 0.6 per cent. While Australians have been turning away from beer and wine, they have developed a taste for spirits. The sale of spirits increased by 4.8 per cent.Spirits and pre-mixed drinks made up 20 per cent of all alcohol sales.Fifty years ago beer made up 76 per cent of Aussie alcohol consumption.On average, each person over the age of 15 drank 10 litres of pure alcohol last year, which equates to around 2.2 standard drinks a day.While the 1.1 per cent drop in consumption might sound promising for health workers, it is still more than the recommended two standard drinks per day. (ANI)
Why shopping can be a killer Dec 10, 2:01 pm
Melbourne, Dec. 10 (ANI): Giving weightage to the argument that boys hate shopping, a man from China jumped to his death after his girlfriend refused to end her shopping spree.Full Story »
Children's films send mixed messages about eating habits and obesity Dec 10, 12:01 pm
Washington, Dec 10 (ANI): A new study has suggested that many of the most popular children's movies send mixed messages about weight, eating habits and obesity, with references to dieting and "fat" body parts shown alongside characters eating unhealthy foods and partaking in sedentary activities.Full Story »
Meet the Chinese man who 'cured' backache by walking in 200 kg shoes! Dec 10, 11:56 am
Melbourne, December 10 (ANI): A Chinese man has claimed that walking in huge iron shoes weighing an outrageous 200 kilograms each has cured his back pain and haemorrhoids.Full Story »
Women satisfied with body image have happier relationships Dec 10, 11:56 am
New York, December 10 (ANI): Being in a happy relationship is linked with a better body image, a study has revealed.Full Story »
- Report reveals poor health care provided to patients over weekends
- New 'Forever Pillow' designed to provide 'flexible' ways of resting head
- Scientists compile most famous people in history according to Google
- Now, 'drink' your breakfast of bacon, baked beans, eggs, and sausages!
- How to know if your child is ready to be sent to preschool
- Men `not gifted` at giving gifts!
- How to exfoliate skin in winters
- Museum of Sex to honour Linda Lovelace with 'The Eve of Porn' exhibition
- Coming soon, customized sports bras to cater to every woman's needs
- Tips for brides for their wedding day!
TOP VIDEO STORIES