Lack of sleep 'may make you fat'Jun 23, 4:27 pm
London, June 23 (ANI): Researchers have blamed lack of shuteye for exploding obesity epidemic in Britain. Scientists discovered that a poor night's sleep could trigger a vicious cycle of unhealthy snacking throughout the day.Tiredness and lack of concentration were found to make people crave for sugary and fatty foods to compensate.But experts warn that this kind of "sugar rush" can lead to a sharp peak in blood sugar levels, swiftly followed by a slump - which in turn encourages people to seek out yet more snacks such as biscuits and crisps. "Sleep deprivation enhances neuronal activity in certain areas of the brain linked to our innate reward system," the Daily Express quoted Miguel Toribio-Mateas, chairman of the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy, as saying."Lack of sleep also seems to have an effect on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity which determines how well our body is able to metabolise energy from foods containing carbohydrates."This is significant as impaired insulin sensitivity has been related to food cravings for more sugary foods," Toribio-Mateas said.The study found that breakfast was the most important meal of the day as it sends a reassuring message to the brain, making people feel fuller for longer."Breakfast for weary office -workers should contain a source of good quality protein," he said."Studies have shown meat or eggs is one of the best ways of not feeling that mid-morning slump in energy which tends to be accompanied by the need to snack," he added. (ANI)
Now, get rid of cellulite with 24-karat-gold 'anti-aging' leggings Dec 13, 4:57 pm
New York, Dec. 13 (ANI): A UK apparel company has found the perfect solution for women who face cellulite issues - 24-karat-gold 'anti-aging' leggings.Full Story »
Celebrity stylist Rod Anker finds Kingfisher calendar unique Dec 13, 3:43 pm
New Delhi, Dec 13 (ANI): The Kingfisher calendar, which is known for its hot and sexy photoshoots, has often been compared to the daring Pirelli calendar.Full Story »
Couple gets married on 11/12/13 at 14.15 Dec 13, 2:42 pm
London, December 13 (ANI): A couple got married on 11/12/13, and signed the register at exactly 14.15, completing the sequence.Full Story »
Formula for perfect Christmas dinner revealed Dec 13, 2:18 pm
London, Dec. 13 (ANI): Scientists have come up with the formula for a perfect Christmas dinner.Full Story »
- Adults outstrip teens in texting and using phones while driving
- New book teaching new brides to be submissive turned down by feminists
- Meet the plastic surgeon who gives daughters botox, boob jobs
- Lone copy of Magna Carta in US displayed in new museum gallery
- Girls from single-sex schools feel pressurized to act like 'typical females'
- 48% Americans opposed to scrapping of ban on cellphone use in flights
- What the 'perfect female face' looks like revealed
- Now, 'print out' your dinner with new machine 'Foodini'
- Care for deep fried Ferrero Rochers for Christmas?
- Britain's 'horniest student' set to be disciplined by university
TOP VIDEO STORIES