Friends find 10m pounds treasure in Jersey after 30-year searchJun 27, 4:33 pm
London, June 27 (ANI): Two amateur archeologists have uncovered a treasure of 50,000 Iron Age coins that are approximately worth 10 million pounds after searching for it continuously for 30 years.
The friends’ hunt was limited to 15 hours a year because of their work commitments.
But they never gave up and made their first find in February – when they unearthed 61 silver and gold coins.
They then returned to the site with a deep scanner metal detector used to find buried aircraft wreckage, which then led them to the Celtic haul, which was buried under a hedge.
“We knew it was significant straight away but not how significant. It is potentially life changing but any monetary reward is secondary to the thrill of finding ancient artifacts,” the Daily Express quoted 49-year-old Miles, a Customs officer, as saying.
Pledging to continue his hobby, the father-of-four said: “We were never in it for the money or we would have stopped years ago,”
“I am not thinking of the money, I just want to enjoy the historic significance of the moment,” 70-year-old Mead said.
Archeologists from Jersey Heritage have now hoisted a huge mound of clay out of the ground and moved it to a secure site.
Experts are now removing the coins, which date to around 50BC and could be worth 200 pounds each.
Jersey’s Receiver General declared the pair’s first find as “treasure trove.”
It is thought that the coins were brought to the island by the Coriosolitae tribe, who had fled modern day Brittany and Normandy to escape Julius Caesar’s invading armies.
Experts believe that the money could have been amassed to fund a war to oust the Romans.
“It is probably the most important archeological find on the island for 50 years,” Neil Mahrer, of Jersey Heritage, said.
Once cleaned, the treasure will then go on display at the island’s museum. (ANI)
- Do women get two types of orgasms?
- Human intelligence on the decline since Victorian Era
- US man arrested for dialling 911 more than 100 times in one month
- Self-regulation skills better in American girls than boys
- Want greater life expectancy? Live in a high rise
- Want your 1st date to be a success? Go watch a superhero movie
- Depression among dads can affect quality of father-child interaction
- 'Nude' UK man cuts off penis with kitchen knife in residential street
- Having sex with good friend post split could help heal broken heart
- Kids who breathe second-hand smoke likelier to be aggressive adults