Army chief sends complaint to CBI on bribery offer

   Apr 10, 5:22 pm

New Delhi, Apr 10 (ANI): Chief of Army Staff, General V.K. Singh has sent his complaint to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with the Rs 14 crore alleged bribery offer made to him by a retired officer to clear the supply of a tranche of 600 vehicles.

Defence Minister A.K. Antony had earlier ordered a CBI probe into a case relating to public sector undertaking BEML even as inquiry was on into a complaint about an alleged scam in purchase of Tatra trucks.

Retired Lt. Gen. Tejinder Singh today told a Delhi court that the allegations that he offered to bribe the Army chief for clearing sub-standard trucks were 'false and ill-founded'.

Lt. Gen. Tejinder, who retired as chief of the Defence Intelligence Agency, sued Army chief General V K Singh and others for a press release issued by the media cell of the Army Head Quarters on March 5 for levelling serious allegations against him by name.

General V.K. Singh had earlier claimed that he was offered bribe worth Rs.14 crore to have a tranche of 600 sub-standard vehicles cleared for purchase.

General Singh also said that 7,000 of those sub-standard vehicles were already in use in the Army and had been sold over the years at exorbitant prices.

In an interview to national daily 'The Hindu', General Singh earlier said, "One of these men had the gumption to walk up to me and tell me that if I cleared the tranche, he would give me Rs.14 crore. He was offering a bribe to me, to the Army Chief. He told me that people had taken money before me and they will take money after me."

The Army chief had claimed that he had reported the matter to the Defence Ministry. (ANI)

'Have full faith in judiciary', says Yakub Memon's brother Jul 29, 4:55 pm
New Delhi, July 29 (ANI): Suleiman Memon, the brother of Yakub Memon who has been sentenced to death for his role in the 1993 Mumbai blasts, on Wednesday said that he had full faith in the judiciary and the almighty.
Full Story
Memon's curative petition dismissal is along expected lines: KTS Tulsi Jul 29, 4:46 pm
New Delhi, July 29 (ANI): Senior lawyer KTS Tulsi on Wednesday said the Supreme Court's decision to dismiss the curative petition of 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon is not at all surprising and is along expected lines.
Full Story
Commander-in-Chief of Myanmar Defence Services meets PM Modi Jul 29, 4:46 pm
New Delhi, July 29 (ANI): The Commander-in-Chief of Myanmar Defence Services, Senior General U Min Aung Hliang, on Wednesday called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here.
Full Story
SC upholds death warrant issued against Yakub Memon Jul 29, 4:29 pm
New Delhi, July 29 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's petition on his death warrant, paving the way for his execution tomorrow.
Full Story
Comments

LATEST STORIES
TOP VIDEO STORIES
PHOTO GALLERY