Uttarakhand Governor credits Sonia for appointmentApr 29, 7:50 pm
Bhopal, Apr 29(ANI): Newly appointed Governor of Uttarakhand and senior Congressman, Aziz Qureshi, today said that his appointment was a result of the blessings of the Congress chief, Sonia Gandhi. He was addressing media persons here. " The happiness is because the Congress party and our leader, Sonia Gandhi blessed me and placed her faith in me," the Governor said, adding that the prestige and the functions of the post "will be fully kept in mind. I will be totally impartial and act in a democratic manner," he said. Qureshi also added that the recent hue and cry against corruption was futile and it was almost impossible to totally wipe out the malaise. "Everyone will have to fight corruption on their own level. It can't go away so easily, even if Gods descend on earth " said Qureshi. Dismissing rumors that the Congress party was passing through a tough phase, Qureshi said that all major political parties were struggling because of lack of confidence. "Which party is in a good position? Be it the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the left parties or the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), there is a crisis of confidence in the all the parties," said Qureshi. In a close contest in last month's Assembly elections, Congress had managed only 32 seats, one more than BJP in the 70-member legislature. However, the Congress party claimed the support of three independent candidates, three BSP legislators and one member from the Uttarakhand Kranti Dal (UKD), barely crossing the halfway mark of 35 seats. (ANI)
- Activist challenges NEET ordinance, files petition in SC
- Vadodara engineering students design vehicle for specially-abled people
- Major fire in Mumbai's chemical factory leaves three dead
- Congress on BJP: 'No Shasan, only Bhashan'
- Bajrang Dal self-defence camp politicised to defame PM Modi: VHP
- Tripura Forest Minister declares to make state free of jhum, bamboo huts
- Kejriwal meets rape survivor, calls for democratic control over law and order
- 'Self-defence' camp: Bajrang Dal leader sent to 14-day judicial custody
- Time for introspection, not press conferences: BJP cautions Congress
- BJP counters Tewari, says India has travelled from night to 'din'