Dress code suggestion for tourists visiting Kashmir draws flakJul 5, 7:42 pm
Srinagar, July 5 (ANI): Jamaat-e-Islami Kashmir, the fundamentalist religious group that, on Wednesday suggested that women coming to Jammu and Kashmir should not wear revealing clothes to safeguard state's traditions, has come under heavy fire from various quarters over its diktat.Jammu and Kashmir's Minister of Agriculture Ghulam Hassan told reporters here that there was no such tradition prevailing in the region.He added that such steps sends wrong signals across the world and would hamper tourism and hospitality industry in big way, which has just started booming in the region."Society of Jammu and Kashmir has never accepted the theory of people wearing particular dress. Such things send a wrong message to the society and it will definitely affect the tourism. People and those who are associated with tourism would never accept such a dress code," Hassan said.Simran Kaur, a tourist from Punjab said that it would not be fair to impose such restrictions on the visiting tourists."I would say that everybody has their own culture. We cannot ask Kashmiri people to change their dressing style if they visit Punjab. Our dressing style is our identity," she said.Earlier on Wednesday, Counsel for the Jamaat-e-Islami Kashmir, Zahid Ali said they would impose restrictions on how foreign tourists dress at tourist spots, though he added that the group was not asking tourists to adopt the Islamic dress code.He said the group is demanding the Department of Tourism not to encourage cultural aggression on the local traditions.The suggestion on dress code could impact the tourist influx in the state, where the separatists have already banned cinema halls. (ANI)
First round of admission begins in DU Jun 30, 10:14 am
New Delhi, June 30 (ANI): With the announcement of its first cut-off list on Wednesday, admission process for Delhi University undergraduate courses began here today.Full Story »
Surface-to-Air Missile Barak-8 test fired from ITR Chandipur Jun 30, 10:05 am
Chandipur (Odisha), June 30 (ANI): Medium range Surface-to-Air ballistic missile, Barak-8, was test fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur off Odisha coast this morning.Full Story »
World Bank President Jim Yong Kim to call on PM Modi Jun 30, 9:48 am
New Delhi, June 30 (ANI): World Bank President Dr. Jim Yong Kim, who is on a two-day visit to India, will call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here today.Full Story »
Two Hizbul militants nabbed in Sopore Jun 30, 9:18 am
Sopore (Jammu and Kashmir), June 30 (ANI): Security Forces have arrested two Hizbul Mujahideen militants from Sopore area of Jammu and Kashmir's Baramulla District.Full Story »
- 7th Pay Commission: Worst pay hike in history of independent India, asserts Congress
- NCP calls on Salman Khan to end growing row over 'rape' remark
- Beijing seeks broader presence in Indian Ocean through S. China Sea: U.S.
- We 'regret' India's failure in Seoul, but won't give-up: U.S.
- Beijing seeks to broaden presence in Indian Ocean through S. China Sea: U.S.
- Mohaniya vows to prove 'conspiracy', says will nail BJP with evidence
- No hostile environment, India-Pak will hold talks: Pak envoy Basit
- Cabinet approval of road projects in Odisha, Punjab will improve connectivity: PM Modi
- Not satisfied with Salman's reply, NCW now seeks legal advice
- Assam: Army busts terror outfit in Kokrajhar
TOP VIDEO STORIES