Coin exhibition in Kolkata draws a large number of enthusiastsDec 31, 2:31 pm
Kolkata, Dec. 31 (ANI): Local residents and numismatic enthusiasts in Kolkata gathered recently at an exhibition of rare coins, dating as far back as the 14th century A. D. .
The exhibition featured coins with the Bengali script imprinted on them, as well as coins commemorating important historical landmarks.
"Our theme this time is the coins of Bengal. We have highlighted coins with the Bengali script written on them. The oldest coin we have belongs to the 14th century A. D., from the reign of Bengal sultan Raja Mahendra Dev, which carries his name in the Bengali script, and is the first coin of its kind," said Ravi Shankar Sharma, Secretary, Numismatics Society of Kolkata.
Kolkata's noted numismatists lent their collections for the exhibition. Kunal Chatterjee, a teacher by profession, spoke of the coins he had put on display.
"The first cabinet of my exhibits have commemorative coins, which also includes rare coins such as the five-rupee coin commemorating the 2nd International Science Congress in 1996 and the 2-rupee coin commemorating Subhash Chandra Bose's birth centenary the same year. The next cabinet features the different types of coins minted in Kolkata after Independence," said Chatterjee.
The three-day exhibition also featured coins that commemorated the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, among others which the exhibitors insisted should be preserved for posterity. (ANI)
- Rijiju welcomes Tripura's decision to withdraw AFSPA
- GOC 15 Corps confirms militant involvement in Sopore attacks
- President Mukherjee to visit Sweden, Belarus
- Decision to revoke AFSPA taken after consulting top police officials: Sarkar
- Govt. 'concerned' about scorching heat wave in Telangana: K.T. Rama Rao
- To beat the heat, Visakhapatnam residents hit the beach
- Continued support, cooperation will ensure our heritage's survival, says Mysore King
- Baba Ramdev's brother sent to 14 days judicial custody
- Berlin vital economic partner for India, says PM Modi
- Mukherjee condoles passing away of Belarus President's mother