US economic growth slows to 2.2 pct in first quarter of 2012Apr 28, 1:49 pm
Washington, Apr 28 (ANI): The pace of economic growth in the United States has slowed down to 2.2 percent in the first quarter of this year, as compared to three percent in last three months of 2011.The figure is below economists' growth estimate of 2.5 percent and are a setback to President Barack Obama, whose re-election chances in November are tied to economic factors, the BBC reports. The US Commerce Department said that businesses have cut down on investment, depressing the gross domestic product (GDP).However, sale in cars rose at 2.1 percent in the fourth quarter, the fastest rate in four years, which has supported the growth figure.Consumer spending, which accounts for about 70 percent of the US economy, grew by 2.9 percent annual rate, the fastest pace since the fourth quarter of 2010.Paul Ashworth, chief UK economist at Capital Economics, said that the main reason for the lower-than-expected figure was to a fall in defence spending.Defence spending fell by 8.1 percent, after dropping by 12.1 percent in the fourth quarter of last year.The US central bank, the Federal Reserve, has said that it was happy with its current policy, although there is speculation that the bank may undertake a third round of quantitative easing, referred to as QE3. (ANI)
India-Afghan Innovation Partnership Fair opens in Kabul Dec 4, 4:23 pm
Kabul, Dec. 4 (ANI):India's Ambassador to Afghanistan, Amar Sinha, inaugurated the first India-Afghanistan Innovation Partnership Fair here on Wednesday.Full Story »
Yahoo acquires mobile-video app Ptch Dec 4, 1:45 pm
Washington, Dec. 4 (ANI): Continuing with its start-up acquisition spree, Yahoo has reportedly purchased mobile-video app Ptch that was funded by Dream Works Animation for an undisclosed amount.Full Story »
TC planning to launch new smart phone in UK by early 2014 Dec 4, 1:23 pm
London, Dec. 04 (ANI): A UK High Court judge has reportedly revealed that Taiwanese mobile maker HTC is planning to release its next flagship smart phone in the UK between February and March 2014.Full Story »
J-K Govt to launch schemes to boost tourism round the year Dec 3, 7:48 pm
Srinagar, Dec.3 (ANI): The Government of Jammu and Kashmir will soon announce new schemes to boost tourism round the year, with an aim to facilitate employment opportunities for residents of the Kashmir Valley.Full Story »
- 'Ponzi king' Bernie Madoff's CFO testifies scam 'was open secret in company'
- BlackBerry sales drop to nearly zero in US, China, Spain and Japan
- US Justice Department approves Microsoft-Nokia deal
- PC market expected to post greatest contraction ever in 2013: IDC
- CEO John Chen claims BlackBerry's 'death reports' exaggerated
- Apple buys Twitter data tracking firm Topsy Labs for estimated $200mn
- Huawei decides to abandon U.S. market following strained relations with govt.
- Commerce Ministry's e-BRC project wins 2013 eASIA Award
- SPMCIL delivers Rs.84.69 crore dividend to govt.
- Nobel Prize economist warns of stock market bubble in US
TOP VIDEO STORIES