Bahraini woman sets record after being elected to parliamentSep 12, 3:41 pm
Manama, Sept 12 (ANI): A Bahraini woman has set a record by becoming the second female candidate ever to find a place in the country's lower chamber of parliament after she was declared the winner of a planned September 24 run-off when her four opponents pulled out of the election.Sawsan Al Taqawi was declared winner by Justice Minister Shaikh Khalid Bin Ali Al Khalifa. "Following the decisions of the candidates Ahmad Salem Al Sherooqi, Nabeel Ali Al Lababidi, Yusuf Abdul Rahim Janahi and Abdul Salam Al Mannai to withdraw from the race, I declare Sawsan Hajji Ghuloom Taqawi, the only candidate remaining in the race, as the winner of the Second Constituency of the Northern Governorate," Gulfnews quoted Shaikh Khalid, as saying. Last week, Sawsan had vowed not to give up despite strong campaign against her. "I have been under tremendous pressure to withdraw my candidacy, and now my posters and billboards are being defaced. It is a clear message that I should withdraw, but I am moving on. I am writing a letter to the head of the elections committee to detail how I have been targeted," she said.Al Taqawi, however, did not mention whether she was deliberately targeted because of being a woman. Bahrain is scheduled to hold the legislative by-elections in two weeks to elect the 18 lawmakers who will replace the former representatives of Al Wefaq society, who pulled out of the lower chamber of the bicameral parliament in February, to protest against the way the authorities dealt with protestors in the same month. (ANI)
Putin urges end to 'shameful' political killings following Nemtsov's murder Mar 5, 11:05 am
London, March 05 (ANI): Russian President Vladimir Putin has urged that the "shameful" political killings should be put to an end, after the murder of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov.Full Story »
China set to boost military budget by 10 percent in 2015 Mar 5, 10:56 am
London, Mar 05 (ANI): China will increase its military budget by about 10 percent in 2015 in order to achieve national defence modernization, according to an official.Full Story »
Mohammed Emwazi's father says no proof his son is IS 'Jihadi John' Mar 5, 10:36 am
Washington, March 05 (ANI): Father of Mohammed Emwazi, popularly known as Islamic state (IS) militant 'Jihadi John', has said that there is no proof that the masked executioner in video clips and footage is his son Mohammed.Full Story »
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar meets Afghan Prez Ghani Mar 4, 7:51 pm
Kabul, Mar. 4 (ANI): Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Wednesday met Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani in Kabul on the final day of his four-day SAARC Yatra.Full Story »
- Bangladesh court upholds arrest warrants against opposition leader Khaleda Zia in graft cases
- Pakistan must look its own needs, parity with India unattainable: Hussain Haqqani
- Turkish Airlines plane skids off runway in Kathmandu
- Journalists at Mirror Group Newspapers 'hack' phones on 'daily basis'
- US Justice Department concludes Ferguson police 'racially biased' post civil rights probe
- Sydney's radio network might lose broadcasting license over royal prank call
- Father of IS Jihadi John calls son 'a dog, an animal, a terrorist'
- Ex-CIA chief to admit to mishandling 'classified materials' under plea deal
- Iran nuclear talks: Netanyahu warns US against striking 'bad deal' that will make way for nuclear bomb
- Hina Rabbani Khar says India-Pak foreign secretary meeting just 'talks about talks'
TOP VIDEO STORIES