Indian origin billionaire investor Rajaratnam accused of financing LTTE terroristsOct 1, 10:54 am
Colombo, Oct 1 (ANI): Indian origin billionaire investor Raj Rajaratnam, founder of Galleon Group who was arrested over an alleged 20 million dollars insider trading scheme, openly gave chunks of money to the Tamil Tigers terror group in his native Sri Lanka, it has emerged.According to Vanity Fair magazine, in 2002, the hedge fund manager urged a crowd gathered to raise money for the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) to support the terror group's struggle."They're terrorists. We're terrorists. We are all freedom fighters," Rajaratnam said that time."They're our terrorists, and you all must support this struggle," he added.Rajaratnam gave one million dollars to the group in the year 2000 and was suspected of giving millions more to another front group that then gave money to the Tamil Tigers, the report said.According to New York Daily News, Rajaratnam's lawyer has called the story "utterly false" and noted that it comes shortly before the hedge-funder is sentenced on conspiracy and securities' fraud charges."Raj never made the speech attributed to him. He was never at an LTTE fund raiser," his lawyer, John Dowd, said."Raj completely cooperated with FBI agents from the Terrorism Task Force about Tamil Tigers. No allegation has ever been made by the FBI regarding his conduct," Dowd added. (ANI)
Indo-US nuclear deal detrimental to deterrence stability in South Asia: Pakistan Jan 27, 10:52 pm
Islamabad, Jan. 27 (ANI): Pakistan on Tuesday said the operationalization of the Indo-US nuclear deal for political and economic expediencies would have a detrimental impact on deterrence stability in South Asia.Full Story »
Nato slams Putin's remarks on 'foreign legion' in Ukraine Jan 27, 6:21 pm
London, Jan 27 (ANI): Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has rebuffed Russian President Vladimir Putin's claim that the Ukrainian army operates as a "foreign legion" for the alliance, calling it "nonsense".Full Story »
Ex-diplomat Placido D'Souza mourns loss of cartoonist R.K. Laxman Jan 27, 5:18 pm
San Francisco (US), Jan.27(ANI): Former diplomat and artist Placido D'Souza has expressed his sorrow over the passing away of well known cartoonist R.K. Laxman, whom he described as a good friend and a man who had helped him in many ways.Full Story »
Obama leading high-powered delegation to Saudi Arabia Jan 27, 4:44 pm
New Delhi/Washington, Jan.27 (ANI): U.S. President Barack Obama will be leading a high profile bipartisan delegation to Saudi Arabia to offer condolences for the recent death of King Abdullah and pay respects to his successor King Salman.Full Story »
- 10 killed as F-16 fighter jet crashes into other planes during Nato exercise
- Newly mom Chelsea Clinton opens up about 'motherhood'
- President Obama following wrong David Cameron on Twitter!
- US assures Pak TTP Chief Mullah Fazlullah will be arrested, killed in Afghanistan
- Now, Mumbai mastermind Hafiz Saeed opens free ambulance service in futile bid to win legitimacy
- UN-ESCAP is working for Afghanistan`s growth and sustenance
- Man behind White House drone crash incident claims was a 'recreational accident'
- Villa where Dodi wooed Princess Diana sold for 70M pounds
- Malaysian Airlines' official website hacked by ' Lizard Squad Cyber Caliphate' group
- FBI busts Russian spy ring trying to gather intelligence on US sanctions against Russia
TOP VIDEO STORIES