Cameron joins Sarkozy, Merkel in accusing Iran of threatening 'peace, security of us all'Jan 24, 1:11 pm
London, Jan 24 (ANI): British Prime Minister David Cameron has joined French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in accusing Iran of threatening the "peace and security of us all".Cameron's remarks came as the European Union imposed sweeping sanctions and an unprecedented oil embargo on the Islamic republic.The steps, agreed by EU foreign ministers in Brussels , amounted to the most punitive restrictions yet imposed on Iran. All member states have signed up to a ban on any new contracts for the purchase or transport of Iranian crude oil or refined petroleum.According to The Telegraph, Cameron issued a rare joint statement with Sarkozy and Merkel. The three leaders described the sanctions as "unprecedented.""The Iranian leadership has failed to restore international confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear programme," they said."We will not accept Iran acquiring a nuclear weapon. Iran has so far had no regard for its international obligations and is already exporting and threatening violence around its region," they added.The leaders urged Iran to obey six United Nations resolutions and stop enriching uranium. "The door is open to Iran to engage in serious and meaningful negotiations about its nuclear programme," they said. Cameron and his French and German counterparts promised to be "united behind strong measures" that would demonstrate to Iran the "cost of a path that threatens the peace and security of us all." (ANI)
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar meets Afghan Prez Ghani Mar 4, 7:51 pm
Kabul, Mar. 4 (ANI): Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Wednesday met Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani in Kabul on the final day of his four-day SAARC Yatra.Full Story »
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar meets Afghan Chief Executive Mar 4, 4:54 pm
Kabul, Mar. 4 (ANI): Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Wednesday met Afghanistan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah in Kabul on the final day of his four-day SAARC Yatra.Full Story »
Bangladesh court upholds arrest warrants against opposition leader Khaleda Zia in graft cases Mar 4, 4:54 pm
Dhaka, March 04 (ANI): A court in Dhaka has upheld the arrest warrants against the opposition leader of Bangladesh and chairperson of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust and Charitable graft cases.Full Story »
Pakistan must look its own needs, parity with India unattainable: Hussain Haqqani Mar 4, 4:36 pm
London, Mar.4 (ANI): Former Pakistani diplomat Hussain Haqqani has advised his country not to seek parity with India and to look after its own needs and interests to ensure both progress and stability.Full Story »
- Journalists at Mirror Group Newspapers 'hack' phones on 'daily basis'
- US Justice Department concludes Ferguson police 'racially biased' post civil rights probe
- Sydney's radio network might lose broadcasting license over royal prank call
- Father of IS Jihadi John calls son 'a dog, an animal, a terrorist'
- Ex-CIA chief to admit to mishandling 'classified materials' under plea deal
- Iran nuclear talks: Netanyahu warns US against striking 'bad deal' that will make way for nuclear bomb
- Hina Rabbani Khar says India-Pak foreign secretary meeting just 'talks about talks'
- Nepal says human poo on Everest threatens to spread diseases on world's highest peak
- US says Pak's tensions with India directly impacts country's strategy in Afghanistan
- Pak ambassador to US says ban on Haqqani network 'still under consideration'
TOP VIDEO STORIES