Gorbachev tells students that protests against Putin will increase if he retakes Russian presidencyFeb 10, 5:24 pm
Washington, Feb.10 (ANI): Former Soviet Union president Mikhail Gorbachev has told students that protests against Vladimir Putin will increase if he retakes the presidency.Delivering a lecture entitled "My Life in Politics" at the International University he founded, in Moscow, Gorbachev said Putin's autocratic and top-down Kremlin-centric regime risked repeating many of the errors that led to the downfall of the USSR and could face a mass challenge from the streets if it failed to implement democratic reforms.According to the Christian Science Monitor, Gorbachev, who faced a popular groundswell of opposition in the dying days of the Soviet Union, has advised Putin to drop his bid for election to a third presidential term in March 4 polls and leave.With society turning against him, Putin is no longer able to handle the burdens of the presidency, Gorbachev said during a meeting with students at Moscow's International University."Most likely Putin will manage to become president" in next month's voting, Gorbachev said. The election features a ballot from which most serious challengers have been weeded out. "But if he fails to overcome himself, and the situation in our country fails to change significantly following the presidential election, people will take to the streets again," Gorbachev warned. Russia must avoid a revolution at all costs, he added. "We can't let it happen. We've already seen what happens on city squares," Gorbachev said in an apparent reference to the Arab Spring, and its sometimes bloody outcomes. (ANI)
Karachi Varsity Islamic Studies department dean shot dead Sep 18, 4:42 pm
Karachi, Sept.18 (ANI): The dean of the Islamic Studies Faculty at the University of Karachi, Dr. Shakeel Auj, was shot dead by unknown assailants on Thursday.Full Story »
Sharif likely to name new ISI chief next week: Report Sep 18, 4:42 pm
Islamabad/Rawalpindi, Sept.18 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is likely to name a new director general for the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) next week.Full Story »
Voters opposing Scotland's independence feel ' personally threatened' by Yes Campaign: Poll Sep 18, 4:04 pm
London, Sep 18 (ANI): A new poll has revealed that almost half the people who oppose an independent Scotland feel "personally threatened" by the Yes campaign that is exhorting people to vote for independence in today's referendum.Full Story »
Chelsea Clinton to adorn baby's nursery with elephant decors Sep 18, 3:07 pm
Washington, Sept 18 (ANI): Chelsea Clinton has revealed that she will be adorning her baby's nursery with elephant-themed decors and items from her own gift line.Full Story »
- People less willing to share own unpopular views on social media: Study
- Nepal FM Pandey hands over SAARC summit invitation to Maldives President
- Dhaka tribunal to deliver verdict against Jamaat leader Azharul Islam
- Jamaat sponsored shutdown in Bangladesh evokes mixed response
- Bangladesh to seek assurances from India during JCC meeting
- Hitler's food taster reveals terrifying ordeal of life in 'Wolf's lair'
- Pakistan floods: Hafiz Saeed's lies exposed
- Thai PM on beach murders: 'Can beautiful female tourists in bikinis be safe?'
- Has Kim Jong-un developed an insatiable cheese fetish?
- Obama receives House of Representatives' approval to train, equip Syrian rebels to fight IS militants
TOP VIDEO STORIES