Queen surprises couple by turning up for weddingMar 25, 12:54 pm
London, Mar 25 (ANI): The Queen of England stunned a couple tying the knot by arriving at their wedding to congratulate them.John and Frances Canning got married at Manchester Town Hall at the same time as the Queen was having lunch with 200 local volunteers in an adjacent room.She and Prince Philip not only turned up at their wedding but also took the time to pose for photographs alongside the happy couple.The bride, Frances, 44, described the experience as "surreal" and said that she couldn't believe it."The Queen spoke to us by our first names. She said I looked lovely and she wanted to wish us all the best for the future," the Sun quoted her as saying."It was very special - it was so lovely that she took the trouble to speak to us."We're going to have to get a bigger wedding album now. Not many people will have pictures like that," she added.Her husband, John, 48, told how he chatted with Prince Philip while the photos were being taken."He was a charming fella - for me it was the icing on the cake. We'll never forget this day and neither will our guests."If we can have half as many happy days together as the Queen and Prince Philip then we will be blessed," he said.John knew beforehand that the Queen was due to visit Manchester on his wedding day, and even wrote to Buckingham Palace to jokingly invite her along. He received a reply politely declining the invitation - but the Palace then secretly set up the meeting.The Queen was visiting Manchester as part of her Diamond Jubilee celebrations. She also visited the BBC's new headquarters, Salford University and four local hospitals. (ANI)
Michele Bachmann compares Obama to Germanwings' suicidal co-pilot for Iran deal Apr 2, 2:13 pm
Washington, April 02 (ANI): American Republican and former member of the US House of Representatives Michele Bachmann has compared President Barack Obama to the Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz saying that Obama, with his Iran deal, is like Lubitz who flew his "entire nation into the rocks".Full Story »
China investing heavily in cyberwarfare programs to compete with US Apr 2, 2:13 pm
Washington, April 02 (ANI): US intelligence officials have said that China's sharp increase in its investment in cyberwarfare programs is a major attempt to compete with superior U.S. military cyber capabilities.Full Story »
Iraq's former war planners urge US to keep forces in country after IS' defeat Apr 2, 2:13 pm
Washington, April 02 ( ANI): Iraq's former war planners have urged the US to keep military forces in the country once Islamic State (IS) militants are defeated.Full Story »
One-fifth of American adults use smartphones as only source of internet Apr 2, 2:13 pm
Washington, April 02 (ANI): According to new data from the Pew Research Center, one-fifth of adults in the United States use smartphones as their only access point to the internet.Full Story »
- Boris Nemtsov killing: Suspect claims was tortured, forced to confess murdering Putin's rival
- Nigeria's newly-elected President Buhari vows to 'spare no effort to defeat Boko Haram'
- Boko Haram using children as human bombs, forcing women into sexual slavery in Nigeria
- Bikram yoga founder refutes rape claims, says women love him
- Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz cheated on pregnant girlfriend weeks before crash
- US Naval chief terms China's 'great wall of sand' in 'disputed' South China Sea 'worrisome'
- Acceptance by 'selective' Harvard dips to record-low of 5.3 pc
- IS militants enter Palestinian refugee camp Yarmouk in Damascus, say activists
- Iran nuclear talks deadline postponed 'yet again' to reach 'political understanding'
- Iraqi forces recapture 'booby trapped' city of Tikrit from IS militants
TOP VIDEO STORIES