'Pakistan to seek Russia's financial help for Iran-Pak gas pipeline project'Mar 29, 3:25 pm
Islamabad, Mar 29 (ANI): Pakistan will seek Russia's financial help for the multi-billion dollars Iran-Pakistan Gas Pipeline Project.The Nation quoted petroleum ministry sources in Pakistan, as saying that a Pakistan team would visit Moscow next week to discuss with Russian gas giant Gazprom prospects of securing funding and technical support for the project. The move came after Gazprom expressed its interest in the project, saying that it was ready to join the IP gas pipeline project either as the pipeline operator or also participating in its construction.The pipeline project, when initially mooted in 1994, had proposed to carry gas from Iran to Pakistan and India. But India eventually withdrew from talks over repeated disputes on prices and transit fees. The 900-kilometre (560-mile) pipeline is being built between Asalooyeh in southern Iran and Iranshahr near the border with Pakistan and will carry the gas from Iran's South Pars field.The project set for completion in June 2014 aims at pumping an initial 11 billion cubic metres of Iranian gas per year to Pakistan. Pakistan and Iran have stepped up efforts to materialise the project without further delay after pressure from the United States that it might impose gas sanctions on the proposed project in future. By doing away with the US pressure, Islamabad has stepped up its efforts after the Russian company explicitly shown interest to join the IP gas pipeline project. (ANI)
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar meets Afghan Prez Ghani Mar 4, 7:51 pm
Kabul, Mar. 4 (ANI): Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Wednesday met Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani in Kabul on the final day of his four-day SAARC Yatra.Full Story »
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar meets Afghan Chief Executive Mar 4, 4:54 pm
Kabul, Mar. 4 (ANI): Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Wednesday met Afghanistan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah in Kabul on the final day of his four-day SAARC Yatra.Full Story »
Bangladesh court upholds arrest warrants against opposition leader Khaleda Zia in graft cases Mar 4, 4:54 pm
Dhaka, March 04 (ANI): A court in Dhaka has upheld the arrest warrants against the opposition leader of Bangladesh and chairperson of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust and Charitable graft cases.Full Story »
Pakistan must look its own needs, parity with India unattainable: Hussain Haqqani Mar 4, 4:36 pm
London, Mar.4 (ANI): Former Pakistani diplomat Hussain Haqqani has advised his country not to seek parity with India and to look after its own needs and interests to ensure both progress and stability.Full Story »
- Journalists at Mirror Group Newspapers 'hack' phones on 'daily basis'
- US Justice Department concludes Ferguson police 'racially biased' post civil rights probe
- Sydney's radio network might lose broadcasting license over royal prank call
- Father of IS Jihadi John calls son 'a dog, an animal, a terrorist'
- Ex-CIA chief to admit to mishandling 'classified materials' under plea deal
- Iran nuclear talks: Netanyahu warns US against striking 'bad deal' that will make way for nuclear bomb
- Hina Rabbani Khar says India-Pak foreign secretary meeting just 'talks about talks'
- Nepal says human poo on Everest threatens to spread diseases on world's highest peak
- US says Pak's tensions with India directly impacts country's strategy in Afghanistan
- Pak ambassador to US says ban on Haqqani network 'still under consideration'
TOP VIDEO STORIES