'Pakistan to seek Russia's financial help for Iran-Pak gas pipeline project'Mar 29, 3:25 pm
Islamabad, Mar 29 (ANI): Pakistan will seek Russia's financial help for the multi-billion dollars Iran-Pakistan Gas Pipeline Project.The Nation quoted petroleum ministry sources in Pakistan, as saying that a Pakistan team would visit Moscow next week to discuss with Russian gas giant Gazprom prospects of securing funding and technical support for the project. The move came after Gazprom expressed its interest in the project, saying that it was ready to join the IP gas pipeline project either as the pipeline operator or also participating in its construction.The pipeline project, when initially mooted in 1994, had proposed to carry gas from Iran to Pakistan and India. But India eventually withdrew from talks over repeated disputes on prices and transit fees. The 900-kilometre (560-mile) pipeline is being built between Asalooyeh in southern Iran and Iranshahr near the border with Pakistan and will carry the gas from Iran's South Pars field.The project set for completion in June 2014 aims at pumping an initial 11 billion cubic metres of Iranian gas per year to Pakistan. Pakistan and Iran have stepped up efforts to materialise the project without further delay after pressure from the United States that it might impose gas sanctions on the proposed project in future. By doing away with the US pressure, Islamabad has stepped up its efforts after the Russian company explicitly shown interest to join the IP gas pipeline project. (ANI)
Sharif underlines resolve to fight terrorism but skips reference to India Dec 17, 5:39 pm
Karachi, Dec 17 (ANI): While presiding over a high level meeting of parliamentary parties in Peshawar following a horrific attack on a school in the city, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said that both Pakistan and Afghanistan should not allow militants to use their borders for terror activities but steered clear of making any references to India.Full Story »
Dalai Lama says may be last to hold title Dec 17, 4:47 pm
London, Dec 17 (ANI): Exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has said that he may be the last one to hold the title instead of allowing someone incapable to take his place.Full Story »
Sharif lifts moratorium on death penalty post Peshawar school terror attack Dec 17, 4:07 pm
Karachi, Dec 17 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has lifted the moratorium on death penalty in the aftermath of the terror attack that killed 141 people in a school in Peshawar.Full Story »
At least 66 journalists killed globally in past year amid growing violence against media Dec 17, 3:46 pm
Islamabad, Dec 17 (ANI): At least 66 reporters have reportedly been killed across the globe in the past year following increased violence against the media.Full Story »
- Afghan Taliban says TTP attack on Peshawar school 'against basics of Islam'
- White House says Obama will sign bill imposing new sanctions on Russia 'despite reservations'
- Homeland Security says '9/11-style attack threat' on US theatres screening 'The Interview' not credible
- Expert dubs Peshawar school attack Pak Taliban's revenge for Malala's Nobel Peace Prize
- Sri Lanka condemns terror attack in Peshawar
- Sri Lanka says it is happy with Tamil Nadu gesture to release fishermen
- Sri Lanka calls for concerted global effort to tackle terror
- Peshawar school terror attack reflects TTP's disregard for global humanitarian laws: HRW
- Peshawar school attack: ISPR says Pak Taliban militants intended to kill 'as many as possible'
- NY student who claimed making $72M trading stocks admits story was a big lie
TOP VIDEO STORIES