Kansas winner of 656m dollar jackpot claims shareApr 8, 1:01 pm
London, Apr 8 (ANI): One of three winners of the record 656-million-dollar jackpot in the US has come forward to claim their share of the prize.Lottery officials have said that the lucky ticketholder from Kansas, who has chosen to remain anonymous, made themselves known on Friday.Opting for a lower cash prize rather than a higher pre-tax amount of 218.6 million dollars paid out over 26 years, the winner will pocket 110.5 million dollars after taxes and fees."They checked their ticket on Monday and realised that, 'holy cow, we think we have the winning ticket'," Sky News quoted Cara Sloan-Ramos, from the Kansas Lottery as saying."Then the winner checked it over and over and over, just to make sure, and then they contacted us," Sloan-Ramos said.The only detail that has been released is that the ticket was purchased at a Casey's General Store on Main Street in Ottawa. The shop is to be awarded 10,000 dollars.Lottery officials have said that three winning tickets were bought - one in Kansas, one in Illinois and one in Maryland - but neither of the other winners have been confirmed.A row has broken out in Maryland after a member of staff at a McDonald's in Baltimore claimed to have bought a winning ticket outside of a syndicate with 14 colleagues.Mirlande Wilson, a 37-year-old woman of Haitian descent, has said she has no plans to share the jackpot - and also claims to have hidden the winning ticket.However, lottery officials in the state have said that so far no one has presented a valid winning ticket to their offices. (ANI)
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar meets Afghan Chief Executive Mar 4, 4:54 pm
Kabul, Mar. 4 (ANI): Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Wednesday met Afghanistan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah in Kabul on the final day of his four-day SAARC Yatra.Full Story »
Bangladesh court upholds arrest warrants against opposition leader Khaleda Zia in graft cases Mar 4, 4:54 pm
Dhaka, March 04 (ANI): A court in Dhaka has upheld the arrest warrants against the opposition leader of Bangladesh and chairperson of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust and Charitable graft cases.Full Story »
Pakistan must look its own needs, parity with India unattainable: Hussain Haqqani Mar 4, 4:36 pm
London, Mar.4 (ANI): Former Pakistani diplomat Hussain Haqqani has advised his country not to seek parity with India and to look after its own needs and interests to ensure both progress and stability.Full Story »
Turkish Airlines plane skids off runway in Kathmandu Mar 4, 4:02 pm
Kathmandu, Mar.4 (ANI): Passengers aboard a Turkish Airlines plane had a narrow escape, when the aircraft skidded off the runway while landing at the Tribuvan International Airport in Kathmandu, Nepal, on Weednesday.Full Story »
- US Justice Department concludes Ferguson police 'racially biased' post civil rights probe
- Sydney's radio network might lose broadcasting license over royal prank call
- Father of IS Jihadi John calls son 'a dog, an animal, a terrorist'
- Ex-CIA chief to admit to mishandling 'classified materials' under plea deal
- Iran nuclear talks: Netanyahu warns US against striking 'bad deal' that will make way for nuclear bomb
- Hina Rabbani Khar says India-Pak foreign secretary meeting just 'talks about talks'
- Nepal says human poo on Everest threatens to spread diseases on world's highest peak
- US says Pak's tensions with India directly impacts country's strategy in Afghanistan
- Pak ambassador to US says ban on Haqqani network 'still under consideration'
- Book reveals Musharraf kept Sharif, Kayani in dark while conducting Kargil Operation in 1999
TOP VIDEO STORIES