China needs 'consistent policy' on South China Sea: ICG reportApr 23, 4:49 pm
London, Apr 23 (ANI): A new report by the International Crisis Group (ICG) says China needs a "consistent policy" on the South China Sea if it is to resolve disputes.The ICG said, "conflicting mandates" and "lack of co-ordination" among Chinese agencies had stoked tension in the region. The report also states that the number of maritime disputes has "increased dramatically" in recent years, leading to "concerns that China, Vietnam and the Philippines are growing more assertive on this issue, endangering regional stability". Repeated proposals for "a more centralised mechanism" have not been met, it adds. "More immediate conflict risks lie in the growing number of law enforcement and paramilitary vessels playing an increasing role in disputed territories without a clear legal framework," it says.The findings are based on interviews with officials, academics, diplomats, journalists and industry experts in fishing, tourism and oil, from China, South East Asia, Taiwan, Japan and the US.China's claim includes almost the entire South China Sea , well into what the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea recognises as the 200-mile-from-shore Exclusive Economic Zones of other claimants, resulting in competition to occupy islands, reefs and sandbars.Apart from China and the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam and Taiwan are competing over areas in the South China Sea. (ANI)
Putin urges end to 'shameful' political killings following Nemtsov's murder Mar 5, 11:05 am
London, March 05 (ANI): Russian President Vladimir Putin has urged that the "shameful" political killings should be put to an end, after the murder of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov.Full Story »
China set to boost military budget by 10 percent in 2015 Mar 5, 10:56 am
London, Mar 05 (ANI): China will increase its military budget by about 10 percent in 2015 in order to achieve national defence modernization, according to an official.Full Story »
Mohammed Emwazi's father says no proof his son is IS 'Jihadi John' Mar 5, 10:36 am
Washington, March 05 (ANI): Father of Mohammed Emwazi, popularly known as Islamic state (IS) militant 'Jihadi John', has said that there is no proof that the masked executioner in video clips and footage is his son Mohammed.Full Story »
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar meets Afghan Prez Ghani Mar 4, 7:51 pm
Kabul, Mar. 4 (ANI): Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Wednesday met Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani in Kabul on the final day of his four-day SAARC Yatra.Full Story »
- Bangladesh court upholds arrest warrants against opposition leader Khaleda Zia in graft cases
- Pakistan must look its own needs, parity with India unattainable: Hussain Haqqani
- Turkish Airlines plane skids off runway in Kathmandu
- Journalists at Mirror Group Newspapers 'hack' phones on 'daily basis'
- US Justice Department concludes Ferguson police 'racially biased' post civil rights probe
- Sydney's radio network might lose broadcasting license over royal prank call
- Father of IS Jihadi John calls son 'a dog, an animal, a terrorist'
- Ex-CIA chief to admit to mishandling 'classified materials' under plea deal
- Iran nuclear talks: Netanyahu warns US against striking 'bad deal' that will make way for nuclear bomb
- Hina Rabbani Khar says India-Pak foreign secretary meeting just 'talks about talks'
TOP VIDEO STORIES