Did Berlusconi offer to 'cover Ruby in gold' to keep her quiet?

   Apr 24, 11:38 am

London, April 24 (ANI): The teenage belly dancer allegedly paid by Silvio Berlusconi for sex told a friend that the former Italian prime minister offered her to give all the money she wants and to cover her in gold to keep silence about their relationship, according to newly emerged wiretaps.

Moroccan-born Karima "Ruby" El Mahroug also told that she began "seeing" Berlusconi when she was just 16 years old she later demanded 5m euro (4m pounds) from him to keep quiet about it, the Independent reported.

Berlusconi is on trial in Milan, accused of paying for sex with a minor and abusing his office to cover up the act. But both El Mahroug and Berlusconi deny having had sex together.

However, in the intercepted phone calls, El Mahroug, now 19, is heard telling a friend: "I know Silvio and now the fact is coming out that I'm a lover of Silvio. He's crazy about me. I've been seeing him for a year now. It's in all the papers. He's told me to pretend I'm crazy."

"He called me yesterday and said I'll give you all the money you want, I'll pay you, I'll cover you in gold but the important thing is that you hide everything and don't tell anyone anything," she is heard saying on the wiretaps , which were published on the website of Italy's La Repubblica newspaper.

Prosecutors will use the conversation as evidence of illegal sexual relations and of the lengths to which Berlusconi and his aides were prepared to go to cover them up.

At least 13 sexual encounters are said to have taken place during or after the notorious "bung-bunga" parties at his Arcore mansion outside Milan in 2010.

In another conversation, El Mahroug reveals that she asked the billionaire for 5m euro to keep quiet.

Berlusconi has denied all charges. He has frequently criticised the courts and accused investigating magistrates of harbouring a politically-motivated grudge against him.

The mogul, whose premiership collapsed late last year amid the growing financial crisis and after numerous scandals, has consistently described his notorious soirees, in which prosecutors claim he paid for sex with 33 women, as "refined and elegant parties".

Last week he appeared at the Milan court and told reporters: "Bunga bunga? It was just a burlesque competition."

Details recently emerged of how strippers in nun costumes performed for him during one of the "elegant" dinner parties.

Bank records have revealed that since the start of the 'Rubygate' trial, the billionaire has paid a total of 127,000 euro to three key witnesses.

These include one of the dancing "nuns", Nicole Minetti, now a regional councillor for Berlusconi's People of Freedom (PDL) party.

Berlusconi has denied that he was trying to buy favourable testimony from the three women, declaring that the payments were an act of generosity towards the women whose reputations had "been ruined by the prosecutors".

The sex offence facing Berlusconi carries a maximum three-year sentence, and abuse of office can be punished with 12 years in prison. However, under Italian sentencing guidelines, Berlusconi, as a 75-year-old, would not go to prison if found guilty.

He denies all charges. He is also entitled to two appeals under Italian law.

Observers say that the ' Rubygate' trial represents magistrates' best chance of achieving a definitive conviction against Berlusconi. (ANI)

Syrian tribe members express resentment over being ignored by West in fight against IS Oct 21, 6:26 pm
Washington, Oct 21 (ANI): The recent tribal revolt against the Islamic State in Syria that was brutally crushed by the extremists- who massacred hundreds of Shaitat tribe members for rising up against them-received little international attention, causing anger and resentment among the tribesmen.
Full Story
Monica Lewinsky 'came close to disintegrating' due to Bill Clinton sex scandal Oct 21, 5:12 pm
Washington, Oct 21 (ANI): Monica Lewinsky has opened up about the sex scandal involving her and Bill Clinton by saying that she came very close to disintegrating.
Full Story
At least four Afghan soldiers killed in Kabul blast Oct 21, 3:45 pm
New York, Oct 21 (ANI): At least four Afghan soldiers have been killed in a blast on a mini bus in the capital city of Kabul.
Full Story
Nigeria reportedly tackled Ebola through isolation, rehydration of infected patients Oct 21, 3:45 pm
Melbourne, Oct 21 (ANI): As the World Health Organisation declared Nigeria an Ebola-free nation, doctors who survived the deadly disease in the African country attributed the success to heavy doses of fluids.
Full Story
Comments

LATEST STORIES
TOP VIDEO STORIES
PHOTO GALLERY