5 dead as small passenger ferry capsizes in BangladeshApr 25, 12:05 pm
Dhaka, Apr 25 (Xinhua-ANI): At least five bodies were retrieved after a small ferry with dozens of passengers on board capsized in a river in Bangladesh's Kishoreganj district, some 117 km northeast of the capital Dhaka, on Wednesday morning, police said."Five bodies have so far been recovered from the ferry which capsized in Bowlai River," Jahangir Hossain, officer-in-charge of Mithamoin police station in Kishorganj, told Xinhua over phone from the accident site.He said that many passengers were able to swim ashore after the accident at about 6 a.m. local time on Wednesday but could not tell immediately about the exact number of the missing passengers.A rescue vessel has been called in to boost local efforts to salvage the ferry, Hossain said.The reason behind the sinking, however, could not be immediately known but the police official said it was excessively overloaded.Estimates varied as to how many people were on board the ferry. Hossain put the number at close to 20, while another official who preferred to be unnamed said about 50 people were on board.The ferry services in Bangladesh never maintain list of passenger and none can exactly say how many passengers a ferry carries.Ferry and boat disasters are common in Bangladesh, which is crisscrossed by about 250 rivers. Ferry is still a key means of transport in the country. Most of them are often overcrowded.At least 112 bodies were recovered after a ferry capsized in Bangladesh's central Munshiganj district last month. (Xinhua-ANI)
Pakistan must look its own needs, parity with India unattainable: Hussain Haqqani Mar 4, 4:36 pm
London, Mar.4 (ANI): Former Pakistani diplomat Hussain Haqqani has advised his country not to seek parity with India and to look after its own needs and interests to ensure both progress and stability.Full Story »
Turkish Airlines plane skids off runway in Kathmandu Mar 4, 4:02 pm
Kathmandu, Mar.4 (ANI): Passengers aboard a Turkish Airlines plane had a narrow escape, when the aircraft skidded off the runway while landing at the Tribuvan International Airport in Kathmandu, Nepal, on Weednesday.Full Story »
Journalists at Mirror Group Newspapers 'hack' phones on 'daily basis' Mar 4, 3:27 pm
London, March 04 (ANI): A British court has heard that phone hacking was "rife" at Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) from 1999 to 2006, a report said.Full Story »
US Justice Department concludes Ferguson police 'racially biased' post civil rights probe Mar 4, 1:36 pm
London, March 04 (ANI): The US Justice Department has reportedly discovered evidence of racial bias against Ferguson police in Missouri following a civil rights investigation into the killing of an 18-year-old, black unarmed teenager, Michael Brown, by a white police officer.Full Story »
- Father of IS Jihadi John calls son 'a dog, an animal, a terrorist'
- Ex-CIA chief to admit to mishandling 'classified materials' under plea deal
- Iran nuclear talks: Netanyahu warns US against striking 'bad deal' that will make way for nuclear bomb
- Hina Rabbani Khar says India-Pak foreign secretary meeting just 'talks about talks'
- Nepal says human poo on Everest threatens to spread diseases on world's highest peak
- US says Pak's tensions with India directly impacts country's strategy in Afghanistan
- Pak ambassador to US says ban on Haqqani network 'still under consideration'
- Book reveals Musharraf kept Sharif, Kayani in dark while conducting Kargil Operation in 1999
- IS militants allow jihadists to play table football only if they behead model players
- MH17 victims' families see aircraft's charred remains at Netherlands
TOP VIDEO STORIES