Chinese archaeologists restore over 50 Buddha statuesApr 26, 4:35 pm
Shijiazhuang (China), April 26 (Xinhua-ANI): Chinese archaeologists have finished restoring over 50 Buddha statues from thousands of fragments unearthed in north China's Hebei Province, an archaeological researcher said Thursday."The restoring task is arduous, as it involves complicated procedures to protect the statues' coloring, reinforce their gold foil and join their pieces together," said Dr. He Liqun, a researcher with the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS).He said his team created a detailed restoration plan based on the original features of the statues, adding that more statues are expected to be restored using the unearthed components.A team of archaeologists from the CASS and the Hebei Provincial Institute of Cultural Heritage in January unearthed 2,895 Buddha statues and statue fragments in Yecheng, a 2,500-year-old ancient city located in what is now Linzhang county, according to He. The Buddha statues, mostly made of white marble and blue stone, are believed to date back to the Eastern Wei and Northern Qi dynasties (534-577). The archaeological finding is thought to be the largest of its kind since the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949.The city of Yecheng, built during the Spring and Autumn period (770 BC-476 BC), served as the political center during the Three Kingdoms period (220-280) and the Northern Dynasty period (386-581). (Xinhua-ANI)
Indo-US nuclear deal detrimental to deterrence stability in South Asia: Pakistan Jan 27, 10:52 pm
Islamabad, Jan. 27 (ANI): Pakistan on Tuesday said the operationalization of the Indo-US nuclear deal for political and economic expediencies would have a detrimental impact on deterrence stability in South Asia.Full Story »
Nato slams Putin's remarks on 'foreign legion' in Ukraine Jan 27, 6:21 pm
London, Jan 27 (ANI): Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has rebuffed Russian President Vladimir Putin's claim that the Ukrainian army operates as a "foreign legion" for the alliance, calling it "nonsense".Full Story »
Ex-diplomat Placido D'Souza mourns loss of cartoonist R.K. Laxman Jan 27, 5:18 pm
San Francisco (US), Jan.27(ANI): Former diplomat and artist Placido D'Souza has expressed his sorrow over the passing away of well known cartoonist R.K. Laxman, whom he described as a good friend and a man who had helped him in many ways.Full Story »
Obama leading high-powered delegation to Saudi Arabia Jan 27, 4:44 pm
New Delhi/Washington, Jan.27 (ANI): U.S. President Barack Obama will be leading a high profile bipartisan delegation to Saudi Arabia to offer condolences for the recent death of King Abdullah and pay respects to his successor King Salman.Full Story »
- 10 killed as F-16 fighter jet crashes into other planes during Nato exercise
- Newly mom Chelsea Clinton opens up about 'motherhood'
- President Obama following wrong David Cameron on Twitter!
- US assures Pak TTP Chief Mullah Fazlullah will be arrested, killed in Afghanistan
- Now, Mumbai mastermind Hafiz Saeed opens free ambulance service in futile bid to win legitimacy
- UN-ESCAP is working for Afghanistan`s growth and sustenance
- Man behind White House drone crash incident claims was a 'recreational accident'
- Villa where Dodi wooed Princess Diana sold for 70M pounds
- Malaysian Airlines' official website hacked by ' Lizard Squad Cyber Caliphate' group
- FBI busts Russian spy ring trying to gather intelligence on US sanctions against Russia
TOP VIDEO STORIES