Lack of touch with ethnic minorities costing Tories seats, finds surveyApr 29, 5:36 pm
London, Apr 29 (ANI): UK Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservatives will lose key marginal seats as they are out of touch with ethnic minorities, according to a new study.Just for percent of black and seven percent of Asians people polled believed that they identified with the Tories, according to the biggest political survey of ethnic minorities every conducted, The Telegraph reports.The findings reveal that the Tories expected to lose hundreds of local government seats following more grim news on the economy and the fallout from the ongoing hacking scandal, with the future of Cultural Secretary Jeremy Hunt still hanging in the balance.There are at least a million Indians living in the UK, nearly 750,000 Pakistanis and more than a million black Caribbeans and black Africans, according to the latest official figures.Significant numbers of Black and Asian people believe that Conservatives remain indifferent to ethnic minorities, according to the research, which was commissioned by Lord Ashcroft, the former deputy party chairman.The key findings of the study, which involved conversations with 3,201 people from ethnic or religious minorities, revealed that 45 percent of black would never vote for Conservative.Almost 59-69 percent of ethnic minority respondents believed that Tory politicians looked down on people from different ethnic or religious backgrounds.Almost 61 percent of black voters said the Conservatives' policies demonstrated that they were hostile to ethnic minorities.Only 29 percent of all participants said the Tories "understand minorities".However, two thirds of voters from these groups backed Labour in the 2010 general election , with just 16 per cent supporting the Conservatives.Muslim and Sikhs polled said they valued the freedom Britain offered to practice their religion.Lord Ashcroft's research also revealed that high numbers of ethnic minorities did not vote regularly. Nearly 40 percent of mixed race and 37 percent of black respondents in the sturdy failed to vote in the 2010 general election. (ANI)
Foreign Secretary Jaishankar meets Afghan Chief Executive Mar 4, 4:54 pm
Kabul, Mar. 4 (ANI): Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Wednesday met Afghanistan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah in Kabul on the final day of his four-day SAARC Yatra.Full Story »
Bangladesh court upholds arrest warrants against opposition leader Khaleda Zia in graft cases Mar 4, 4:54 pm
Dhaka, March 04 (ANI): A court in Dhaka has upheld the arrest warrants against the opposition leader of Bangladesh and chairperson of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust and Charitable graft cases.Full Story »
Pakistan must look its own needs, parity with India unattainable: Hussain Haqqani Mar 4, 4:36 pm
London, Mar.4 (ANI): Former Pakistani diplomat Hussain Haqqani has advised his country not to seek parity with India and to look after its own needs and interests to ensure both progress and stability.Full Story »
Turkish Airlines plane skids off runway in Kathmandu Mar 4, 4:02 pm
Kathmandu, Mar.4 (ANI): Passengers aboard a Turkish Airlines plane had a narrow escape, when the aircraft skidded off the runway while landing at the Tribuvan International Airport in Kathmandu, Nepal, on Weednesday.Full Story »
- US Justice Department concludes Ferguson police 'racially biased' post civil rights probe
- Sydney's radio network might lose broadcasting license over royal prank call
- Father of IS Jihadi John calls son 'a dog, an animal, a terrorist'
- Ex-CIA chief to admit to mishandling 'classified materials' under plea deal
- Iran nuclear talks: Netanyahu warns US against striking 'bad deal' that will make way for nuclear bomb
- Hina Rabbani Khar says India-Pak foreign secretary meeting just 'talks about talks'
- Nepal says human poo on Everest threatens to spread diseases on world's highest peak
- US says Pak's tensions with India directly impacts country's strategy in Afghanistan
- Pak ambassador to US says ban on Haqqani network 'still under consideration'
- Book reveals Musharraf kept Sharif, Kayani in dark while conducting Kargil Operation in 1999
TOP VIDEO STORIES