Suu Kyi to take oath in parliament 'as soon as possible'Apr 30, 5:22 pm
Naypyidaw, Apr 30(ANI): Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi will swear an oath in parliament "as soon as possible", in a dramatic turnaround to the ongoing political impasse. She also vowed to "safeguard" the army-created constitution. "We will go as soon as possible to attend the parliament. Some people might ask, given that we didn't accept the wording of 'safeguard' in the beginning, why we accept now. The reason we accept it, firstly is the desire of the people. Our voters voted for us because they want to see us in parliament," The Telegraph quoted Suu Kyi, as saying Suu Kyi's announcement comes a week after she declined to attend the fledgling parliament. She was not present in the legislature in the capital Naypyidaw to witness speech by UN chief Ban Ki-moon's speech, which is the first by a foreign dignitary.uu Kyi has spent much of the past two decades in prison, but was freed in 2010 and her election to parliament has been hailed by the international community as a step towards democracy in Myanmar. The National League for Democracy, which boycotted a controversial 2010 election, agreed to rejoin the political mainstream last year after authorities changed a similar phrase in party registration laws. (ANI)
- 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' named kids' all- time favourite book
- Iran says internet firms can operate in country if they accept nation's 'cultural rules'
- Russian authorities trying to frame girlfriend of slain politician for murder, fear friends
- 14-year-old Alabama girl dies in shooting over Facebook argument
- Search operation to locate `missing` flight MH370 may be called off soon
- Saudi blogger sentenced for flogging may now face death penalty if found guilty of apostasy
- Jihadi John lived in paranoid fear of MI5, considered committing suicide, reveal emails
- IS frees 19 of 220 Assyrian Christians abducted in north-east Syria
- Mumbai mastermind Lakhvi 'comfortably' hosting guests, watching TV inside jail cell
- Jihadi John described as shy high school boy who was jilted by secret crush due to 'bad breath'