Twitter storm over Obama's visit to AfghanistanMay 2, 6:06 pm
Kabul, May 2 (ANI): Secrecy around U.S. President Barack Obama's visit to Afghanistan was broken after continual chatter on Twitter about his visit. Afghanistan's TOLO News, the country's leading television news station, was the first to tweet that Obama had arrived in Kabul to meet Afghan President Hamid Karzai, news.com.au reports.The world's major news groups kept their knowledge of the trip secret because of the normal security conditions attached with such trips.But after the first tweet, the unfettered Twitter took wing, with guesses winning over any facts.As the website ran hot with speculation in the early hours of the evening, Afghanistan time, the US embassy in Kabul Tweeted: "Reports that President Obama is in Kabul are false."US embassy spokesmen failed to answer their phones as they rang off the hook, although some Tweets quoted a palace source saying that the reports of Obama's visit were "wrong". The US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) also tweeted that "contrary to some media reports, ISAF has NOT confirmed Obama visit; we are not in position to do so".Confusion on the website was compounded by reports that Karzai's spokesman had dismissed reports that Obama was in Kabul, suggesting that perhaps the fuss had been sparked by a visit of a group of US senators.Then the news wires finally broke the story: Obama was in Afghanistan to sign a strategic partnership deal with Karzai covering relations after the 130,000 US-led troops leave the country by the end of 2014.The US embassy's final tweet said: "Our previous tweet that Obama was not in Afghanistan was true; he has since arrived to sign the Strategic Partnership Agreement". (ANI)
Prosecution files response to Dewani's discharge papers Nov 22, 4:56 pm
Johannesburg, Nov 22 (ANI): The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has filed the responding papers after lawyers for British businessman Shrien Dewani filed heads of argument for his discharge on charges of conspiring to kill his wife Anni Hindocha.Full Story »
Sri Lankan health minister defects from party to stand against President Rajapaksa Nov 22, 4:56 pm
London, Nov 22 (ANI): Sri Lankan Health Minister Maithripala Sirisena has announced that he is defecting from the party in order to stand against the President Mahinda Rajapaksa in the upcoming presidential elections.Full Story »
IS releases video of British hostage John Cantlie claiming U.S. failed to rescue him Nov 22, 4:51 pm
London, Nov 22 (ANI): Islamic State (IS) militants have released a new video that features British hostage John Cantlie who appears to claim that the United States failed to save him and other hostages form the IS captivity.Full Story »
EU prepares resolution to separate Google's search engine from rest of its business Nov 22, 4:51 pm
London, Nov 22 (ANI): The European Union Parliament has prepared a resolution that would split Google's search engine operation in Europe from the rest of its business.Full Story »
- American, Israeli companies selling high-tech surveillance devices to most repressive govts
- Biden warns Russia would face 'greater isolation' if failed to respect Ukraine peace deal
- China calls for enhanced talks to resolve conflicts with neighbouring countries
- Pak ready to welcome India's involvement in Afghan if they become 'friendly neighbours'
- Obama to allow more expansive role for U.S. army in Afghanistan post 2015 pullout
- Al Qaeda flays ISIS for declaring expansion of Islamic caliphate
- Obama holds back flight to retrieve 'beloved' BlackBerry!
- Islamic State 'selling girls within themselves', says 15 year-old who escaped IS captivity
- PAF wants to buy fourth generation stealth fighter from China
- Polish playground bans 'Winnie the Pooh' for being 'inappropriately dressed'
TOP VIDEO STORIES