Hurricane Irene likely to hit six American states, emergency declaredAug 26, 10:55 am
London, Aug.26 (ANI): Several states along the American east coast, from North Carolina to New York, have declared emergencies ahead of the arrival of Hurricane Irene.The first hurricane of the Atlantic season is now a category three storm, packing winds of 115mph, with "some strengthening" expected, the BBC reports.Mandatory evacuations have been ordered in parts of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey and North Carolina.Irene, now leaving the Bahamas, has already caused havoc in the Caribbean.Emergency has been declared in North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey and New York. Residents in North Carolina have been boarding up their homes President Barack Obama also declared an emergency in North Carolina, where Irene is due to make landfall first, on Saturday afternoon. The move allows greater co-ordination between state and US federal disaster management authorities.The huge storm boasts hurricane force winds extending 80 miles from its centre, and tropical storm winds reaching up to 295 miles from the eye. Forecasters said Irene strengthened slightly throughout Thursday night and Friday ahead of its expected arrival in North Carolina on Saturday.It is then expected to weaken as it moves up the east coast, diminishing in strength to a still-powerful category two storm on Sunday. (ANI)
Indo-US nuclear deal detrimental to deterrence stability in South Asia: Pakistan Jan 27, 10:52 pm
Islamabad, Jan. 27 (ANI): Pakistan on Tuesday said the operationalization of the Indo-US nuclear deal for political and economic expediencies would have a detrimental impact on deterrence stability in South Asia.Full Story »
Nato slams Putin's remarks on 'foreign legion' in Ukraine Jan 27, 6:21 pm
London, Jan 27 (ANI): Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has rebuffed Russian President Vladimir Putin's claim that the Ukrainian army operates as a "foreign legion" for the alliance, calling it "nonsense".Full Story »
Ex-diplomat Placido D'Souza mourns loss of cartoonist R.K. Laxman Jan 27, 5:18 pm
San Francisco (US), Jan.27(ANI): Former diplomat and artist Placido D'Souza has expressed his sorrow over the passing away of well known cartoonist R.K. Laxman, whom he described as a good friend and a man who had helped him in many ways.Full Story »
Obama leading high-powered delegation to Saudi Arabia Jan 27, 4:44 pm
New Delhi/Washington, Jan.27 (ANI): U.S. President Barack Obama will be leading a high profile bipartisan delegation to Saudi Arabia to offer condolences for the recent death of King Abdullah and pay respects to his successor King Salman.Full Story »
- 10 killed as F-16 fighter jet crashes into other planes during Nato exercise
- Newly mom Chelsea Clinton opens up about 'motherhood'
- President Obama following wrong David Cameron on Twitter!
- US assures Pak TTP Chief Mullah Fazlullah will be arrested, killed in Afghanistan
- Now, Mumbai mastermind Hafiz Saeed opens free ambulance service in futile bid to win legitimacy
- UN-ESCAP is working for Afghanistan`s growth and sustenance
- Man behind White House drone crash incident claims was a 'recreational accident'
- Villa where Dodi wooed Princess Diana sold for 70M pounds
- Malaysian Airlines' official website hacked by ' Lizard Squad Cyber Caliphate' group
- FBI busts Russian spy ring trying to gather intelligence on US sanctions against Russia
TOP VIDEO STORIES