Drug addicts aren't criminals, says Russell BrandApr 25, 5:28 pm
London, Apr 25 (ANI): Russell Brand on Tuesday urged the MPS to decriminalise drug possession.The comedian told MPs that drug addicts should be treated for a potentially fatal illness ."I'm not a legal expert. I'm saying that, to a drug addict, the legal aspect is irrelevant. If you need to get drugs, you will," the Daily Express quoted him as saying."The criminal status sends the wrong message. Being arrested isn't a lesson, it's just an administrative blip."Brand, who beat his addiction in 2002, revealed to the Home Affairs Committee he was arrested 12 times for drugs.The 36-year-old flouted convention during the lively 30-minute hearing in London. Sporting a ripped black vest and gold chains and crosses, he called MPs "mate" or by their first names.Brand told the committee that he backed the relaxation of laws on possession, but did not want "a wacky free for all". "I think some people can safely take drugs. I'm not saying no to all drugs," he said."Let's have an authentic, truthful, honest debate and some funding for abstinence-based recovery."Decriminalising possession of drugs would allow addiction to be treated as a "health matter", he said, adding, "Addicts who get clean generally stop committing crime." (ANI)
Dolly Parton opens up about battle with depression Apr 19, 3:32 pm
London, Apr.19 (ANI): Dolly Parton has revealed that depression runs in her family on both sides and she has to be wary.Full Story »
Tom Clancy's 'Splinter Cell' to be launched as comic book series Apr 19, 2:27 pm
Washington, Apr.19 (ANI): 'Splinter Cell,' a video game franchise created by Tom Clancy, is set to come out in a new avatar of a four-issue comic book series titled as 'Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Echoes' in July.Full Story »
'Game of Thrones' characters' monikers trending as baby names Apr 19, 2:27 pm
London, Apr.19 (ANI): Many real-life babies now have name corresponding to 'Game of Thrones' character names, including names such as Khaleesi and Arya.Full Story »
Courtney Love credits gay pals for making her a rock star Apr 19, 2:27 pm
London, Apr.19 (ANI): Courtney Love has revealed that she became a rock star because of her gay friends, adding that now she is a gay icon.Full Story »
- Kangna Ranaut, Vir Das promote 'Revolver Rani' in New Delhi
- Gwyneth Paltrow shares pic of kids from breakup vacation
- Uma Thurman 'happy to be older mum'
- Orlando Bloom plans on taking up 'grittier roles'
- LiLo admits dating has been 'distraction' in past
- Paramount, China Film Co sign deal to produce 3D 'Marco Polo'
- Kirsten Dunst says 'doesn't give off the vibe' to sleep with directors
- Gwen Stefani will replace Christina Aguilera in 7th season of 'The Voice'
- Kim K in 'extreme dieting mode' to shed weight before wedding
- Miley Cyrus postpones US tour following hospitalization due to allergic reaction
TOP VIDEO STORIES