Arsenal striker Robin van Persie picks up PFA Player of the Year awardApr 23, 10:21 am
The Dutch international, who scored a total of 27 Premier League goals this season said he was proud to be honoured with the award.
“If other people are saying it, it is special, but it is even more special if your opponents are saying it. It is a big honour,” The Telegraph quoted van Persie, as saying, who gave the credit for the award to his Arsenal team-mates.
“Without them I could not have achieved it,” he said.
Manchester City had four of their players named in the PFA’s Premier League Team of the Year : Joe Hart was selected between the posts while there were also places for defender Vincent Kompany and midfielders Yaya Touré and David Silva.
However, Wayne Rooney was the only representative from Manchester United, while there were no representatives from Champions League semi-finalists Chelsea.
Tottenham’s Kyle Walker was named the Young Player of the Year, and Everton full-back Leighton Baines was rewarded for another impressive season with a place in the team.
Champion Reading’s defender, Ian Harte secured a place in the Championship Team of the Year, whereas Southampton have goalkeeper Kelvin Davis, midfielder Adam Lallana and forward Rickie Lambert in the team.
Interestingly, Ched Evans, who was convicted of rape earlier this week, was named alongside Sheffield United team-mates Harry Maguire and Stephen Quinn in the League One team.
Newcastle who have reportedly been a ‘surprise package’ of the season, were represented in the XI by Argentina defender Fabricio Coloccini. (ANI)
- 'Flop' Torres 'desperate' to prove himself under new boss Mourinho
- Fabregas says Real 'foolish' if bids 100 mln pounds for Bale
- Proteas media backs England to convert Ashes distraction into motivation for CT semi
- Dhoni's men practice ahead of semi-final clash against Sri Lanka
- Cook 'has never felt more nervous' ahead of CT semi with Proteas
- India's Oscar-winning smiling Pinki to flip toss at Wimbledon finals
- Hesson concerned over Vettori's 'career hampering' Achilles tendon problem
- Protestors hack Brazil World Cup 2014 website
- Ribery had 'no idea' call girl was 'under age', claims lawyer
- England to be 'favourites' in CT semi with Proteas, says De Villiers