Surface-to-air missiles installed on residential rooftops to ward off terror threats during London OlympicsApr 29, 10:21 am
London, Apr 29 (ANI): UK's Ministry of Defense (MoD) has taken the initiative to install high velocity surface-to-air missiles on the roofs of a set of residential flats as a precautionary measure against any airborne terror threats during the Olympics."As announced before Christmas, ground-based air defence systems could be deployed as part of a multi-layered air security plan for the Olympics, including fast jets and helicopters, which will protect the skies over London during the Games," The Telegraph quoted an MoD spokesman, as saying.Residents staying in the private flats at Bow, east London, have reportedly been given a leaflet informing them that a team of 10 soldiers and police will be stationed at the building for the duration of the Games.However, the MoD leaflet claimed that the missiles will be fired only as 'a last resort'."I've looked these (the missiles) up and I don't think they're the kind of thing you can fire over a highly populated area like Tower Hamlets, think of the debris. The leaflet says the missiles will only be used as a last resort," a resident, Brian Whelan mentioned.However, the residents were not happy with the arrangements being made by the government for the Games. "From the few people I've spoken to, and the security we have here, they're not happy about it. I don't think it needs to be here at all. I don't see how the decision was made or who made it," Brian added. (ANI)
Ashley Cole rebuff's gay rumors with 'strictly chick only' tweet Mar 8, 5:00 pm
London, Mar. 08 (ANI): England ace Ashley Cole has reportedly been forced to tell fans that he is 'strictly chicks only' as top football stars were being name-checked worldwide as 'possibles'.Full Story »
Pelligrini says Messi's transfer to City 'just rumours' Mar 8, 5:00 pm
London, Mar. 08 (ANI): Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has dismissed suggestions of securing Barcelona striker Lionel Messi and said that they are 'just rumours'Full Story »
Fans term Moyes' apology letter 'ill timed', demand 'performance' Mar 8, 5:00 pm
London, Mar. 08 (ANI): Manchester United fans have warned under-fire Scot David Moyes that he must turn around the club's fortunes, in response to a letter he wrote to the fans apologizing for United's poor show.Full Story »
Becks looks hot and hunky in leather for new bike ad Mar 8, 3:04 pm
London, Mar 8 (ANI): David Beckham was spotted looking hot and hunky in a leather jacket while shooting a motorcycle advert in Brazil.Full Story »
- Qatar's 'vagina stadium' architect creates outrage with 'unconcerned with workers' deaths' line
- Paul Simon reveals mystery behind Joe DiMaggio lyric in 'Mrs. Robinson'
- Hesson says opening England match to determine how Kiwis fare in World T20
- 'Match fixer' Cronje may be more admired than Smith by Proteas fans: Report
- Swann says Warner's claims of enjoying sledging 'mere bravado'
- Khloe Kardashian jokes she once had sex with 'dad' O.J. Simpson
- Shakira's says beau Gerard Pique no longer allows her to make vids with men
- Ex-Proteas players urge SA to use De Villiers, Miller in top four in T20s against Oz
- Becks set to promote Jaguar in China
- Moyes insists Van Persie 'settled at United'
TOP VIDEO STORIES