'Fear of internet surveillance may have "chilling effect" on use of social media'Apr 24, 3:35 pm
London, Apr 24(ANI): Fear of the state surveillance of the Internet can have a "chilling effect" on the use of social media such as Facebook and Twitter, a former Whitehall intelligence chief has warned.An ex-Cabinet Office security and intelligence coordinator and former director of the GCHQ electronic eavesdropping agency, Sir David Omand stressed on the need for monitoring social media.A think-tank Demos report, which Omand co-authored, called for overhauling the existing laws regulating the interception of communications by police and intelligence agencies."Democratic legitimacy demands that where new methods of intelligence gathering and use are to be introduced they should be on a firm legal basis and rest on parliamentary and public understanding of what is involved, even if the operational details of the sources and methods used must sometimes remain secret," the Daily Express quoted, as saying. According to the report, the intelligence gathered from social media, which it dubbed as "Socmint" could be a vital source of information in identifying criminal activity or providing early warning of disorder.The report said called for the departmental review of how existing Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (Ripa). The report comes in the wake of a controversy over the UK Government's plans to extend the monitoring of all texts, telephone calls, emails and internet traffic in the UK. (ANI)
Xiaomi India, MobiKwik launch one touch payments with 'MIUI8' Jul 2, 10:53 am
New Delhi, July 2 (ANI): Chinese electronics major Xiaomi and mobile payments company MobiKwik announced 'One Touch Recharge' and 'Bill Payments' on the payment network's platform with a feature that allows users to pay bills and recharge their phones or DTH connections from within the messaging application.Full Story »
Amazon is now world's smartest company Jul 1, 5:16 pm
New Delhi, Jul 1 (ANI): Amazon has grabbed the top spot in MIT's annual list of the world's smartest companies of 2016.Full Story »
Now, a shape-changing 'smart' material that heals itself Jul 1, 11:24 am
Washington D.C, Jul 1 (ANI): A team of researchers has come up with a new multifunctional 'smart' material that can morph its shape when exposed to heat and light and can also disassemble itself.Full Story »
UPES to develop payload prototype for 'C-130 J Super Hercules Military Aircraft Jun 30, 5:55 pm
New Delhi, June 30 (ANI): University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES) is developing a payload prototype for military aircraft C-130 J Super Hercules with the help of a research grant of 40,000 US Dollars from Lockheed Martin.Full Story »
- Akamai reports upward trending in 'Global Connection Speeds' and 'Broadband Adoption'
- 'Algo and HFT' technology, a scapegoat for corporate governance lapses
- "Cozmo", a robot capable of emulating humans
- OnePlus ties up with Servify to launch 'Accidental Protection Plan'
- War of the Consoles: Who will pave the way for the future of Virtual Reality?
- DataWind enters 4G tablet market with new premium range moreGmax
- Time to empty out your wallet for these Steam Summer Sale must buys
- Yamaha to design concept models '05GEN', '06GEN' with refined dynamism
- Tech firm Meltwater's CEO honoured with The Europa Hall of Fame award
- When India's largest mobile phone, future tech exhibition hit Delhi
TOP VIDEO STORIES