Netizens warned over online scammers demanding money using 'fake FBI message'Aug 10, 11:41 am
Washington, Aug 10 (ANI): The Federal Bureau of Investigation has warned computer users to ignore a message, purportedly from its officers, that freezes people's screens and asks them to pay a fine for visiting inappropriate websites.According to Donna Gregory from the US Internet Crime Complaint Centre, the virus known as Reveton ransomware, has hit users in the US and globally."We're getting inundated with complaints. Some people have actually paid the so-called fine," News24 quoted Gregory, as saying.The virus, 'drive-by malware', installs itself when a user clicks on a compromised website and issues a message saying a federal law has been broken, she said.According to a statement by the FBI, the 'bogus message says that the user's internet address was identified by the FBI or the Department of Justice's Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section as having been associated with child pornography sites or other illegal online activity'.To unlock their machines, users are required to pay a fine using a prepaid money card service, it said.According to the report, Gregory said there is no easy fix for users whose computers have been infected."Unlike other viruses, Reveton freezes your computer and stops it in its tracks. And the average user will not be able to easily remove the malware," she said. (ANI)
Turning off technology hours before bedtime promotes sound sleep May 24, 3:53 pm
New York, May 24 (ANI): Using your tablet or smartphone before bed can suppress quality sleep, thus putting you at risk for health problems, a new study suggests.Full Story »
Now, a radio that can change scripts depending on where you are May 24, 3:46 pm
London, May 24 (ANI): A concept device has been created by BBC where the script can get altered depending on factors like weather.Full Story »
Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View May 24, 3:29 pm
Washington, May 24 (ANI): Google has gathered images of the beauty and biological diversity of the Galapagos Islands for use on its Street View.Full Story »
Information security firm and Manipal come together to bolster India's e-defence May 24, 1:37 pm
New Delhi, May 24 (ANI): In today's networked world, to bolster India's e-defence, a leading information technology firm has tied up with one of the leading universities of India to train young minds about different kinds of security solutions, and strengthen the nation in a different manner.Full Story »
- Google boss warns students against 'censorship of net' and 'digital ethnic cleansing'
- 3D printed object created using brain waves
- Flexible solar cells and displays may be possible with transparent electrode
- US officials say hypersonic weapons likely to hit battlefield by 2025
- Samsung creates furore after portraying men as 'stupid, dirty slobs'
- Majority of teenagers now flocking to Twitter as Facebook enthusiasm wanes: Study
- Baby's life saved with new 3-D printed device that restored his breathing
- Twitter beefs up security following recent hacking spate
- Facebook to revise violent content 'at all levels'
- New antivirus, desktop security software to check future cyber attacks
TOP VIDEO STORIES