Hummingbird speediest shaker among vertebratesJul 4, 11:37 am
London, July 4 (ANI): An ultra-slow-motion camera has helped show that the hummingbird is not only the fastest moving living thing on Earth but is also the fastest shaker.
The camera, which is capable of capturing images at up to 650,000 frames per second, caught the birds shimmying at a rate that was 10 times faster than a dog after it takes a bath.
Andreas Pena Doll and Rivers Ingersoll, both students in David Lentink’s lab at Stanford University, captured Anna’s hummingbirds shaking their tiny bodies 55 times per second while they were in flight, New Scientist reported.
Lentink observed that it is the fastest shake by any vertebrate on Earth.
Pena Doll said that the shimmy done in dry weather could remove pollen or dirt from their feathers similar to the way a wet shake removes water.
The study will be published in the Journal for Biomechanics of Flight. (ANI)
- Tech- stable policies combo can help avoid another `dark` age: World electricity firms
- World will bypass 2C global warming limit despite carbon pledges: Experts
- 'The Day After Tomorrow' nightmare may soon become reality
- Yellow River sediment find suggests revision of Earth's climate history
- Immune gene can help keep Parkinson's disease, dementia at bay
- How our brains control direction of thoughts
- How ecotourism is putting wildlife at risk
- Had a great fall? Blame the bug, not the rug
- Greenland`s ice sheet 'plumbing' system revealed
- Pain: It`s all in your head