Hummingbird speediest shaker among vertebratesJul 4, 11:37 am
London, July 4 (ANI): An ultra-slow-motion camera has helped show that the hummingbird is not only the fastest moving living thing on Earth but is also the fastest shaker.
The camera, which is capable of capturing images at up to 650,000 frames per second, caught the birds shimmying at a rate that was 10 times faster than a dog after it takes a bath.
Andreas Pena Doll and Rivers Ingersoll, both students in David Lentink’s lab at Stanford University, captured Anna’s hummingbirds shaking their tiny bodies 55 times per second while they were in flight, New Scientist reported.
Lentink observed that it is the fastest shake by any vertebrate on Earth.
Pena Doll said that the shimmy done in dry weather could remove pollen or dirt from their feathers similar to the way a wet shake removes water.
The study will be published in the Journal for Biomechanics of Flight. (ANI)
- Each shark has its own personality: Study
- Taking wearable electronics to next level with fast, stretchy circuits
- Why sick people always pitied more than those unemployed
- Altering perception of food can extend healthspan
- Presidential candidates' 'charismatic' speaking strategies
- Probable connection between primordial black holes, dark matter?
- Selfishness interlinked with resource-poor environment
- Now, money will determine your love life
- Meet the top 10 new species for 2016
- Soon, `tricorder-like` wearable device to monitor body signals