Hummingbird speediest shaker among vertebratesJul 4, 11:37 am
London, July 4 (ANI): An ultra-slow-motion camera has helped show that the hummingbird is not only the fastest moving living thing on Earth but is also the fastest shaker.
The camera, which is capable of capturing images at up to 650,000 frames per second, caught the birds shimmying at a rate that was 10 times faster than a dog after it takes a bath.
Andreas Pena Doll and Rivers Ingersoll, both students in David Lentink’s lab at Stanford University, captured Anna’s hummingbirds shaking their tiny bodies 55 times per second while they were in flight, New Scientist reported.
Lentink observed that it is the fastest shake by any vertebrate on Earth.
Pena Doll said that the shimmy done in dry weather could remove pollen or dirt from their feathers similar to the way a wet shake removes water.
The study will be published in the Journal for Biomechanics of Flight. (ANI)
- People with back pain may have spines similar to chimpanzees
- It's confirmed: You are what you eat
- Why some people just can't go on diets
- More teens opting for e- cigarettes over tobacco products
- Here's how our brains make memories
- 'At-risk' teens most likely to benefit from sexual health text message services
- Dad's sperm may help predict kid's autism risk
- 'Bedtime stories' may foster brain buildout supporting reading readiness in kids
- Here's how popular probiotics benefit our guts to fight diseases
- Need that stuck song out of your head? Just chew gum