Hummingbird speediest shaker among vertebratesJul 4, 11:37 am
London, July 4 (ANI): An ultra-slow-motion camera has helped show that the hummingbird is not only the fastest moving living thing on Earth but is also the fastest shaker.
The camera, which is capable of capturing images at up to 650,000 frames per second, caught the birds shimmying at a rate that was 10 times faster than a dog after it takes a bath.
Andreas Pena Doll and Rivers Ingersoll, both students in David Lentink’s lab at Stanford University, captured Anna’s hummingbirds shaking their tiny bodies 55 times per second while they were in flight, New Scientist reported.
Lentink observed that it is the fastest shake by any vertebrate on Earth.
Pena Doll said that the shimmy done in dry weather could remove pollen or dirt from their feathers similar to the way a wet shake removes water.
The study will be published in the Journal for Biomechanics of Flight. (ANI)
- How emperor penguin's survived last Ice Age
- DNA may predict when and how we're going to die
- Dogs helped modern humans eradicate Neanderthals in Europe 40k yrs ago
- This protein helps birds traverse via magnetic field
- Oral therapy may soon be possible with compounds protecting nervous system from MS damage
- Revivifying drugs with anti-stroke potential by minimizing side effects
- New mechanism driving spread of cancer cells discovered
- Human skin may harbor obesity cure
- Indian NGO, UK health authority ink MoU to improve organ donation rates
- Neuroscientist claims first ever human head transplant may be possible by 2017