Hummingbird speediest shaker among vertebratesJul 4, 11:37 am
London, July 4 (ANI): An ultra-slow-motion camera has helped show that the hummingbird is not only the fastest moving living thing on Earth but is also the fastest shaker.
The camera, which is capable of capturing images at up to 650,000 frames per second, caught the birds shimmying at a rate that was 10 times faster than a dog after it takes a bath.
Andreas Pena Doll and Rivers Ingersoll, both students in David Lentink’s lab at Stanford University, captured Anna’s hummingbirds shaking their tiny bodies 55 times per second while they were in flight, New Scientist reported.
Lentink observed that it is the fastest shake by any vertebrate on Earth.
Pena Doll said that the shimmy done in dry weather could remove pollen or dirt from their feathers similar to the way a wet shake removes water.
The study will be published in the Journal for Biomechanics of Flight. (ANI)
- Why some people have better sense of direction than others
- Crows much smarter than commonly perceived
- How fast-changing genes help malaria parasites hide in human body
- Massive volcanic explosions contributed to dinosaurs' extinction
- Instant-start computers comes closer to reality
- Top 10 Science breakthroughs of 2014 listed down
- Regular use of Ibuprofen may increase lifespan by up to 10 yrs
- 6 pc of global population suffer from internet addiction
- HD maps of 'the Greenland Ice Sheet' coming soon
- Asteroid that made dinosaurs extinct almost wiped off mammals too